Tournemire: La Legende de Tristan

Started by mikehopf, Saturday 04 February 2023, 07:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Unfortunately I've not been able to find a "listen again" option for SWR2 broadcasts so, until La Legende de Tristan is rebroadcast and recorded, we're not in a position to discuss its merits. The Opern Welt review is (understandably) protected by a pay wall, but it would be interesting to read if anyone has a subscription....

CelesteCadenza

I have placed a copy of the SWR2 broadcast in the Downloads section. It is the 161k aac-stereo source, edited in a mp4(m4a) container without re-encoding using ffmpeg.

I've listened to this 1.5-times now. In the theater it may be more captivating but I found the audio-only far more tolerable than Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande. It's certainly shorter.

Wheesht

Radio BR Klassik in its review states that the Ulm audience at the premiere gave the production standing ovations and that a CD production is planned.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

Thanks also to CelesteCadenza for the recording, which will give us a chance to hear the piece.

JanOscar

Curiosity killed the cat, so thanks to CelesteCadenza's efforts and the affirmative comments I just felt obliged to listen again. This time I found it even worse. It's like watching water running from a tap. The standing ovations were surely not music related.

Ilja

... or they might be from people that appreciate the music differently than you do. It does happen.

Admittedly, I am something of a fan of Tournemire, even if I must admit that his later orchestral music can be a bit unfocused. My main issue with this particular performance is that the two main male singers don't sound all that French. Particularly in the case of Dae-Hee Shin I find it rather distracting. Still, I feel glad to have given Tristan two listens sofar, and I will certainly return to it in the future.

Mark Thomas

I can't really take a view on La Légende de Tristan as it's composed in an idiom, contemporary for the 1920s I suppose, which I don't enjoy at all. That's particularly true of the vocal writing, which just isn't my cup of tea.

Alan Howe

I'd add this to other operas whose style of vocal writing I don't take to, such as those by Schreker. But to each his own...

ilbravo

With sincere respect for the mostly critical or skeptical statements and judgments  of Tournemire' s  music in this thread, I  nevertheless would like to underline the fact, that there are on the other hand some real Tournemire enthusiasts out there like our dutch friend here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U2NKWPNL8A

It might be easy to find this kind of enthusiasm a little bit weird and funny. But for me personally I must admit  that my admiration of this composer and his music has grown over the years continuously.  His most significant music for organ seems to me widely acknowledged  and accepted -so there is no need of propagation here.

But  the 8 Symphonies seem  to me an unsung catalogue of works which is quite unique in French music ( and maybe in European music of that time).  What do we have here (in my ears)?

No 1-3: late romantic gems in the tradition of C. Franck;  colourfull, vigorous, enjoyable and full of tunes.
No 4 and 5:  on the way to a more abstract and modern view of nature and romanticism and to a personal style which is clearly distinctive at the first bars.
No 6-8:  for me masterpieces of modern religious music  - and in my opinion,  although not a religious person,  breathtaking and deeply touching. There is a  cantata dealing withe the horrors of war and the utopia of redemption (No 6),  the evolution of a (christian) civilization as a kind of ballet (No 7) and a profound, eloquent and  - optimistic -  requiem without words in a distinct modern musical language.

In my present state of musical understanding I would prefer any symphony by Tournemire to any symphony by Mahler or Shostakovich.

And:  ,,La Legende de Tristan" is in my ears stylistically very near to the symphony No 7. Inspired, gripping, dramatic -  and in the end visionary.   

Mark Thomas

No one here has a monopoly on opinion and it's great to read yours, ilbravo. Respectful disagreement and debate is an entirely healthy thing.

Ebubu

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 06 February 2023, 17:47Sometimes it's best to leave a particular composer to the few who might appreciate him/her. I have a feeling that Tournemire falls into this category.

Nice to see that I'm not the only one....

Derek Hughes

I've tried to record each of the two recent broadcasts of Tristan, and in each case have encountered a technical hitch. Has anyone had better luck?