Re: Unsung concerto instruments...the Oboe II

Started by eschiss1, Monday 07 February 2011, 00:50

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

found out a few things since this thread was last current...

about Marie Felicie Clémence de Reiset Grandval's concerto, an oboe/piano 1877 manuscript is at IMSLP - don't know where or even if an oboe/orchestra manuscript exists or existed, so I now see where the question in the preceding up-to-June thread comes from.

Romantic-era and presumably style oboe concertos not, I think, mentioned in the earlier thread also include those by Christian Frederik Barth (1787-1861)'s op.12 concerto (around 1823, in manuscript only I think) and Georges Guilhaud (b.1851, date of death unknown?)'s op.15 concerto and concertino (the latter often arranged for saxophone). (Dates on the latter I don't know but will try to find out; the concertino by 1890 or so if not earlier- possibly much earlier, possibly not; saw a reference to it in a 1890 journal. Will keep looking.) Anyone familiar with these works? Not positive that the orchestral parts and scores exist in all cases, though, so 'concerto' may be anachronistic in some cases... (as in, used to be but now more a sonate concertante ;) .) (Except for the Barth, where we have a manuscript full score.)
Eric

EarlyRomantic

The oboe is nearly my favorite concerto instrument. As already alluded to, the harp is right there, too. I've always lamented that the oboe was superseded by the clarinet in the Romantic Era. Grandvals concerto was released exactly four years ago on Haenssler Classic s, with orchestra.Several other romances, laments, trios, gavottes are included. Kalliwodas  work is not lengthy, but is ripely romantic on a fine release. Moscheles wrote a flute & oboe concerto that is very pretty. Julius Rietz( there is someone really due for re-evaluation)has a just-as- euphonious concerto.These were recorded even three or more decades ago, and often appeared together, also with Bellini or Hummel.Lajos Lencses is the champion of the unsung oboe repertoire. He's, in fact, soloist in the Grandval. Ignaz Lachner had an oboe concertino recorded by Hansjorg Schellenberger with the Swiss-Italian Orch. of Lugano just  a year to two ago. Its slow movement is sad-in-a-sweet way, very winning. I'm eager to hear a concerto for horn and bassoon with orchestra of his  with the Toronto Symphony conducted by no less than Nicholas McGegan, entitled Romanza.(How many more tantalizing  sips of the Lachners need to be released before it's realized a full, fearless guzzling is the right thing to do?) I've not understood why an oboist doesn't want to make their name with oboe works of Gustave Vogt (1781-1870), a student then teacher at the Paris Conservatoire. I've read he composed 5 to as many as 16 concertos, some being concertinos, and   even a Sextet for oboe and strings.A student of his, Stanislas Veroust, wrote oboe works in a numerous variety of major and minor keys, though they may also have functioned as examination exercises at the Conservatory. Carl Neuner, a friend and contemporary of Weber,wrote a Concerto that is, again, mellifluous. I think he was known more as a ballet composer. The realms of (unsung) Ballet and Incidental Music have to be among the most neglected genres in music.There are probably some composers who made a single essay,I' m not able to think of who. Romantic Oboe Concertos, especially a world-premiere, are among the compositions I most want to hear someday.

EarlyRomantic

Sorry if some of the other composers  I listed appeared in the original thread.Didn't mean to be redundant, got excited by seeing " Unsung Concerto instruments: Oboe. " I've not read the original thread.