News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung String Quintets

Started by saxtromba, Tuesday 01 February 2011, 15:52

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Mentioned this one before on another thread. A string quintet (2 violins, viola, and 2 cellos) I've recently got to know and have come to rate very highly - the String Quintet in F sharp minor, Op. 63 by Walter Braunfels.

Go on, do yourself a considerable favour by listening to it. Those with ears will find themselves deeply moved.

Peter

eschiss1

Though I don't know if the recording is still available (maybe through Records International- and maybe not, too) there are two string quintets by Felix Draeseke, one of them published during his lifetime, one of them published only recently, that I think are also treasurable (both the music and the performances by the Acantus Quartet with Johannes Hartman.)  One in A major for string quartet and 'violotta' (played by cello on that recording) that often makes me think of Schubert for singing qualities; another in F major (written as a 2-cello quintet) that's more ambitious, I suppose, with background hints here and there of inspiration from middle and late Beethoven quartets but not weighed down by them (e.g. a hint of the slow movement of Beethoven's op.59/1 in the quintet's slow movement, or of the late quartets- op.131 maybe, or the opening of the finale of op.135?- at the very opening of the quintet); and both quintets joyous and memorable I think.