News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Georges Pfeiffer

Started by FBerwald, Sunday 12 February 2023, 10:29

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Other than the scant information floating on the net, do we know anything about this French composer. He's said to have written 3 Piano Concertos. Born the same year as Saint-Saens, I'm curious as how his music sounds and if the 3 PC are good candidates for Hyperion's RPC series, provided the scores can be located.

Georges Jean Pfeiffer (12 December 1835 – 14 February 1908)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Pfeiffer

4candles

All three concertos are in the BnF in France, although only the third in full score. The other examples there are reductions or excerpts.

eschiss1

Unfortunately IMSLP only has one movement from the 2nd piano concerto, but does have several other works, including his piano quintet in C minor, 2nd piano trio (D minor) and piano quartet in F minor. On recording I only find a piano left hand transcription by him of the Miserere from Verdi's Il Trovatore (Act IV scene 12) from a 2017 CD.

Simon

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 14 February 2023, 03:21On recording I only find a piano left hand transcription by him of the Miserere from Verdi's Il Trovatore (Act IV scene 12) from a 2017 CD.

Actually, his Piano Trio in D minor, op. 130, is available on CD:

https://www.amazon.com/Promenades-Sentimentales-Ernest-Chausson/dp/B008LC8UJM/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?crid=3B6W5YU96NVQB&keywords=pfeiffer+trio&qid=1676347372&sprefix=pfeiffer+trio%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-12

eschiss1

Alan Howe

Thanks, Eric. Having found a copy of the CD on the Anima label, it does indeed feature Pfeiffer's rather gorgeous and striking Piano Trio No.2 in D minor, Op.103 which, according to IMSLP, was published in 1885.

Edition Silvertrust has this about the work:
<<His Second Piano Trio dates from 1885. The opening Allegro moderato has a searching melody for its main theme. Tension is slowly built to dramatic climax after which a slinky march-like melody follows. The second movement is a bright, airy, fluttering Scherzo. The trio section is a simple, but attractive country dance. The cello gives forth the lovely and lyrical main theme of the Largo which follows. It is valedictory and reflective, almost haunting. The finale, Allegro ma non troppo, is busy and lilting, conveying the bustle and charm of late 19th century Paris.>>

...absolutely delightful, in other words.

eschiss1

One of several French composers of his time (broadly speaking) I've taken some interest in but have been surprised to see that I haven't been alone in that interest. Hopefully more recordings will follow.