Camillo Schumann Cello Sonatas

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 02 February 2011, 00:44

Previous topic - Next topic

giwro

I have the Reinhard Kluth MDG set of the organ Sonatas, as well as a score or two.  It is very well-written music, and I've always wanted to hear more from him.  Looks like my bank account will take a hit as well!

;D

Simon

Last summer, I ordered a photocopy of the manuscript of his Oboe Sonata in G major Op. 105 (completed on July 29, 1937) from the Sachsisches Staatsarchiv (I believe many works by CS are kept there).

This is conservative German Romantic music, kind of interesting since there are only a few Romantic oboe sonatas. In 4 movements : Allegro amabile, G major (the first theme of which - very lyrical - reminds me of Brahms); Andante molto sostenuto, E minor (a dark sarabande); Scherzo - Allegro molto, C major (maybe the weekest movement here IMHO); Allegretto poco mosso, G major (with some "Volkstone", to paraphrase Robert Schumann).

Gareth Vaughan

Is there a set of parts available for this concerto?

JimL

You mean sonata, Gareth? ;)  I know - a Romantic-style oboe concerto (other than the Strauss) would be a welcome addition to the repertoire.

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 06 February 2011, 00:03
You mean sonata, Gareth? ;)  I know - a Romantic-style oboe concerto (other than the Strauss) would be a welcome addition to the repertoire.
There was a thread about this once, and I may resurrect it if only to ask if anyone knows much about the Grandval (1877), Guilhaud (concerto op.15 and concertino, latter by 1890?) or Barth  (ca.1823) works...

Alan Howe

We're getting off-topic here, gentlemen...

Ricky

hey guys,
I am Ricky, president of Camillo Schumann society in Duesseldorf, Germany. Its ineresting to read about the conversation of Camillo. He has no connection to Robert Schumann, just the name, which is very often in germany. If there is something to ask, maybe prints or where you can get sheetmusic, please let me know.

would like to hear from all the Camillo Schumann lovers

Ricky

Gareth Vaughan

Hello, Ricky, and welcome. I would like to know if a Partitur and set of Orchesterstimmen exist for Camillo Schumann's Violin Concerto. It might be something Hyperion Records would be interested in.

Ricky

Hi Gareth,
I never saw the score before. I don't know really, what kind of piece that is.
it surely will be a handwriting. All the music by CS you can find in the
main state library in Dresden.
Or look in the list of all the pieces on my homepage. Or google with "Camillo Schumann Gesellschaft.

Kind regards
Ricky

John

I am looking for sheet music to Camillo Schumann's "Romanze op. 20/1 for cello and piano... any suggestion?

eschiss1

I'm guessing you might be able to contact one of the sources above for possible loan, maybe... A quick search of a few sources suggests to me that the two works may have been published separately sometime in hrm 1902-1904 or so, not sure?... - I'm guessing by F.E.C. Leuckart (or Leuckart-Sander perhaps...) (then of Leipzig, now in Munich), as with some of his other works of the period.

(Maybe contact the performers on the Naxos recording to see how they obtained the music? Couldn't hurt.)