Two New Rubinstein Piano Discs from Naxos

Started by John Boyer, Sunday 19 February 2023, 13:01

Previous topic - Next topic

John Boyer

One brand new one (2023) and one from last year (2022) that seemed to slip under the radar.

2022:
Caprices, Op. 21 and Six Pieces, Op. 51

2023:
Preludes, Op. 24 and Etudes, Op. 81

Alan Howe

Thanks, John. Sometimes Naxos releases pass me by as I assume they're reissues from the Marco Polo catalogue.

Rob H

I am looking forward to the new disc of Preludes and Etudes. I had forgotten about the earlier disc but this was partly and perhaps unconsciously about the pianist, Sergio Gallo. I had his Henselt disc with the only version of Henselt's concert version of Weber's Invitation to the dance but found the playing to be pretty dull and cautious. I'll try before I buy with his Rubinstein. I expect no such problem with Martin Cousin's disc.

John Boyer

The works on Mr. Gallo's disc do not require transcendental technique, so I think you'll find it satisfactory.

Mark Thomas

The second Naxos disc, Six Preludes Op.24 and Six Etudes Op.81 played by Martin Cousin, has just been released and I've been listening to the downloaded tracks. I believe that the Preludes are recording premieres, so there's no direct comparison, but there is at least one earlier recording of the Etudes - Fabio Grasso on the Solstice label (probably no longer available). Grasso's tempi are uniformly brisker than Cousin's, whose complete set lasts 45:48 minutes compared with Grasso's 38:10. To my ears Grassi's performance is much more in keeping with the spirit of these pieces than Cousin's stately approach, which really drags out the fifth Etude to take over 10 minutes in comparison with Grasso's 6! The Preludes seem to be taken at a leisurely pace too, there's nothing molto about No.2's Allegro molto for example, but as there's no direct comparison I'd be interested to read the opinions of colleagues more expert that me.

eschiss1

There is an author named Fabio Grassi (by whom Amazon lists titles like "A NEW HOMELAND: The Massacre of The Circassians, Their Exodus To The Ottoman Empire and Their Place In Modern Turkey."), but the pianist's name is Fabio Grasso, I believe. The Solstice disc seems to be only available used and streaming (over Apple Music, Spotify, etc.), it's true. Edit: also, as a CD directly from Solstice: here.

John Boyer

I have the Solstice disc; it's well worth tracking down.

Mark Thomas

Quotethe pianist's name is Fabio Grasso
Thanks, Eric. I've corrected my post. It's good that the recording is still available too - it's thoroughly recommended.