Hyperion Records sold to Universal

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Saturday 25 February 2023, 21:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

One of the brightest stars among independent labels has been acquired by corporate giant Universal. Probably very bad news for lovers of high standards and interesting repertoire. One can't blame Simon Perry, who had probably had enough of the recording industry, but it is a very sad day. It is doubtful that, under Universal, the label will make any more new recordings. 

John Boyer

Very bad news.  Well, it was a great run. 

Mark Thomas

Absolutely, but there's nothing good about this news.

TerraEpon

I mean maybe there will be a small benefit of some mega boxsets for cheap for those inclined but beyond that yeah....RIP the monthly free FLACs too probably.

eschiss1

I'm guessing Universal Music Group (*1934) is no relation to Universal Edition (*1901), tangentially...

Alan Howe

I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Gareth Vaughan

There is no connection between Universal Music Group and Universal Edition.

Ilja

Hurwitz' take here.

The best that could come out of this is that access to Hyperion's back catalogue will be improved. But not holding my breath for new recording initiatives. Let's just hope that projects that are in the pipeline are still completed and released.

Gareth Vaughan

That's probably the most we can hope for, Ilya.
Hurwitz's take is, I feel, a bleak but realistic assessment of the news.

Mark Thomas

This is one of those occasions where, on reflection, I feel that Hurwitz is spot on and particularly so in pointing out that Hyperion is a business with an owner, like any other, not just a service for us enthusiasts. His video is a common sense, straight talking assessment of the news. As he says: "this isn't bad news, it isn't good news, it's just news".

eschiss1

I'm not holding my breath as to access to the back catalogue, either.

TerraEpon

Well there is another benefit I suppose that most in here won't care too much, is they will be available to digital sale and streaming on across the web rather than being landlocked to Hyperion's own site.

Alan Howe

Yes, Hurwitz makes some really good points. I suppose we at UC just long for more RPC, RVC and RCC releases - which we love, of course.

Jonathan

eschiss1

Hyperion's blocking their digital content from Amazon and other streaming sites and requiring one get an account on their own was not something I could do, so the slight possibility mentioned by TerraEpon that this might change does help me and maybe more people- maybe even readers of this site- than you suspect- if so.