Hyperion Records sold to Universal

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Saturday 25 February 2023, 21:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Droosbury

I have only just caught up with this news and am deeply depressed by it. As someone who really started to appreciate classical music in the early 1980s, Hyperion – then really finding their own feet – introduced me to so much. Their catalogue contains some of my most-cherished recordings, from early music, Renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic through to more contemporary music.

They boldly set out, of course, on the big RPC and RVC series that have been mentioned. It's difficult to overstress how groundbreaking these were, incredibly brave explorations of repertoire no one else would have touched at the time, let alone put so much love into.

But there was so much more - the Schubert Edition, scores of discs of early English music most notably the incomparable Purcell series of choral works, outstanding series of recordings of Monteverdi and Vivaldi sacred works from Robert King, loads of 19th/early 20th C British music, wonderful Dvorak and Brahms, the Solomon Quartet's Mozart quartets ... the list just goes on and on. They showed that you didn't need the big beasts of the international concert stage to make interesting, vital music, and instead they put their faith in largely lesser-known soloists and bands that were able to develop their own, hugely appreciative audiences.

As has been said, the production values and presentation were always immaculate, but the learned and beautifully understated booklets were often an education in themselves. During 10 years as a CD reviewer, I always found the folk at Hyperion to be incredibly helpful and supportive and approachable, and always, always enthusiastic about the music in a way that I rarely encountered elsewhere. They were a real family concern – and, being British, a homegrown one, too. It's very sad to think of that coming to an end and the legacy being swallowed up by Universal.

I'll go and lie down now ...

Justin

It is natural for losses to loom much more than gains, and when you take it into perspective, the gains by Hyperion are huge. There are over 131 works in the Romantic Piano Concerto series alone, more than several labels put together. Also keep in mind that for one homegrown label being bought out, there are several new ones planted, such as our friends at Schweizer Fonogramm, Oclassica, Octatonic and the rebirth of Orpheus Classical. These have all occurred in the past decade or so.

It is disappointing that we may not see as many new Unsung works since this label will be gone, but I don't see it as a reason to be depressed, so let's all be grateful for the thousands of recordings that it has brought us and wish the best to the new ones.

Alan Howe

One thought: how many recordings might already be 'in the can', but never see the light of day?

Mark Thomas

Maybe I'm being unduly optimistic on the issue of recordings "in the can" but surely it's in Universal's financial interest to get these to market, either through the Hyperion label or some other? After all, if the recordings have been made then the artists, studio and engineers will have been paid, so those costs will have been incurred and the only way of recovering that money is to publish the recordings or sell the rights on to someone else to publish them. Of course the booklets might not be up to Hyperion's standard, or the recordings might only be available as downloads but at least the music would be out there.

Alan Howe

I sincerely hope you're right. It makes sense on all levels.

eschiss1

Unless they're unwilling to undertake publishing and distribution costs, but better to hope than not.

Gareth Vaughan

Yes. There was an encouraging announcement here: https://slippedisc.com/2023/03/exclusive-hyperion-is-guaranteed-its-independence/ a couple of days ago.
Let us remain optimistic.

Mark Thomas

The story in this month's Gramophone says that Simon Perry will continue to manage Hyperion under UMG's ownership.

Alan Howe

All this is real reason for hope. Thanks for the encouraging updates.

eschiss1

Also, Presto Music has what may be new recordings from Hyperion as far out as the 90-or-so days in the future their future-releases pages go, into July (mostly earlier music, so far.)

Mark Thomas

That's good, but only indicates that recordings already in the pipeline are going to be released. The acid test will be whether from now on Hyperion will make and release new recordings.

Gareth Vaughan

Justin

We're starting to see the effects of UMG's ownership of Hyperion, with three volumes of the "Romantic Piano Concerto" series already on YouTube through its auto-generation algorithm. These are called "Art Tracks," officially. Let's hope that this will help expose the label to a wider audience if they happen to come across these videos.

Ebubu

3 out of 84.  It's a start.
As I wrote Hyperion, I hope they will keep a good balance of new/recent recordings and older parts of the catalog when they'll put out the catalogue for streaming (as is with the 200 references they've already provided).