Hyperion Records sold to Universal

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Saturday 25 February 2023, 21:03

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

If you haven't seen, their statement about it is as follows:

"Hyperion albums are now available for streaming ... Having resisted the medium for many years, we have decided the time is finally right, giving our esteemed artists the increased visibility they so deserve, and allowing the riches of our catalogue to be discovered by a new generation. Some two hundred albums—presenting a broad overview of the catalogue and including many of our finest treasures—are available now, and more will be added over the coming months"

'We have decided'.....more like Universal has. Lawl.

Jonathan

Ebubu

Yeo, they have been coerced to decide and convinced that it was necessary.
Personnally, I'm not going to complain, but I don't understand the "immense benefits" of having their catalogue available free for nothing or close.

TerraEpon

Quote from: Ebubu on Monday 07 August 2023, 14:47but I don't understand the "immense benefits" of having their catalogue available free for nothing or close.

Clearly there's plenty of benefit, or streaming wouldn't be the defacto way of releasing music in 2023.

eschiss1

If we're talking about YouTube, that point's been addressed multiple times, it feels like, and gets ignored each time.

If we're talking about mp3 downloads for example, a lot of them, like quite a few Kindle and Apple (and other downloadable) books, -aren't- cheap at the reader/listener end, with total prices actually not that rarely comparable to those of the same CDs*, but I'm feeling like the time for bringing facts in the conversation was probably two pages ago, so sure, ok...

*I must admit I've never created an account to download from Hyperion and never will; making me create yet -another- account is not appreciated thanks**- so I can't speak to theirs, just to e.g. Amazon music and other downloadables compared to their physical prices.

**If all my Amazon-related media (music, Kindle books) are destroyed and unusable after the company is dissolved in a monopoly lawsuit, say, I'll be a --bit-- cross but then might consider changing my mind as to the above, having one less "other" account, I suppose.

TerraEpon

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 08 August 2023, 01:38If we're talking about YouTube, that point's been addressed multiple times, it feels like, and gets ignored each time.

No, I'm talking Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tifal, Deezer, Qobuz and so on. THAT is the main place most people in the world use consume music these days. Few people buy physical media, far more buy subscriptions to their favorite streaming service.

Ilja

Those are the places where people pay directly for music via subscriptions. But YT is without question the place where most people consume music, with over a billion music streams per day.

Ebubu

Quote from: Ilja on Tuesday 08 August 2023, 14:16Those are the places where people pay directly for music via subscriptions. But YT is without question the place where most people consume music, with over a billion music streams per day.
And free.

eschiss1

Ever get a free newspaper with lots of ads and wonder, "they don't get any subscriptions, how do they even get by?"
(I'm guessing not, because the answer is obvious- there.)
Again, I mentioned this thing people keep ignoring as though no one ever said it? Hrrrrrmmmm..,

dmitterd

An update here: I have it on good authority that Simon Perry is leaving or has now left the business as Artistic Director. What next?!