Gabriel Pierné Warner Edition

Started by Ebubu, Monday 03 April 2023, 09:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebubu

Warner is going to reissue (April 6) a 10-CD "Pierné Edition", with past recordings from their catalog, including the complete piano works by Diane Andersen, which had never been reissued on CD before (in spite of my many requests to EMI !).
Of course, we would have loved an exploration of his operatic catalogue or a good modern recording of Saint-François d'Assise, but that will still have to wait... Let's enjoy what we'll be given.

TerraEpon

Huh, they released the piano works by themselves digitally not too long ago. Playing is fine but the sound quality is pretty harsh at points alas....

Ebubu

Oh, I was not aware of that first release ! I'd been waiting for that for a long time.
Yes, Diane Andersen is not the most memorable pianist on the planet, and the recording dates a bit, but it's the only complete piano works that we can enjoy so far, apart from the rare 1-CD albums (MarcoPolo, Timpani...)

eschiss1

Does this contain most of Pierné's large-scale works, or are some important ones missing from this set (or even yet to be recorded at all)?
Edit: IMSLP lists by him an opera (which they have in vocal score only) from 1895 and a pantomime Le docteur Blanc published 1893, for instance, in addition to items I do know that Erato/Warner has/others have recorded like the ballet Cydalise and the oratorio the Childrens' Crusade.

Revilod

This link shows the back of the box which lists the contents:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BKQZ6R9Y/?tag=emimusic-21

There's still a lot of unrecorded Pierne. "La Croisade des Enfants" urgently needs a new recording.

eschiss1

Heh. I hope that's at least partially available streaming. Three recordings of the flute-or-violin sonata Op.36 is an indulgence, but a pleasant indulgence, and the discs after the first 3 (not to denigrate the solo piano discs) are mostly fairly impressive-looking. Thanks.

Ebubu

Not so "impressive looking" when you realize that none of this is recent, and this is just a collection of EMI and Erato recordings issued over the last 40 years.  + a few historical recordings and 4 excerpts of Fragonard.  We'll have to turn to Timpani for substantial orchestral works and the COMPLETE Cydalise, as well as the complete Chamber Music.
We are still missing some of his major output (La Croisade des Enfants, St-François d'Assise -- though I uploaded the only fine radio recording by Fournet on YT, with some unfortunate cuts, and almost all his operas except the shortest one.)