News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Josef Netzer

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 June 2009, 18:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Netzer is nothing like Bruckner; his model is surely Beethoven. If you like the early Rufinatscha, you'll certainly like Netzer.

Hovite

Quote from: TerraEpon on Saturday 27 June 2009, 06:10
I for one find Bruckner boring too. It just goes on and does nothing.

"the listener who is not properly prepared will find it hard to grasp the plan at first hearing, for the dimensions are greater than one would expect" (Robert Simpson: Bruckner and the symphony)

Alan Howe

I grew up with Bruckner, so don't find him difficult at all. But you have to give him time...

John H White

I didn't realise you were that old Alan. ;D

Mark Thomas

Good, John, good!!  :D

Peter1953

Quote from: Josh on Saturday 27 June 2009, 02:54noise from that bloatedly-famous clunker

Wow Josh, that's a hit..!

For me, all Bruckner's symphonies are truly great, and #9 is nothing less than a monument. And Mahler... one of the greatest symphonists of all times. His 3rd, and 9th. Hearing these masterpieces is a fascinating musical experience...IMHO.
That's all for here, because we're discussing the unsung Netzer.

Syrelius

Quote from: Josh on Saturday 27 June 2009, 02:54
Berwald's first symphony received its first performance in 1820. The majority of the first movement survives, and the rest may still be out there somewhere. His once-believed-lost bassoon Konzertstück written not long after is around, though I don't think that it's been recorded.

Hello Josh,
nice to hear that there are more people out there who appriciate Berwald's music.

The Concert piece for bassoon and orchestra has actually been recorded several times. It is available on Naxos, Chandos, BIS and on a small Swedish label called Intim Musik. It is a likeable work, but hardly one of Berwald's best.

Alan Howe

I am old, John and Mark. I admit it.... ;)