Songs of Richard Hageman - "Voices"

Started by Martin Eastick, Wednesday 05 April 2023, 12:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

Although vocal music is not my speciality by any stretch of the imagination, and there are those here that have a much more learned view of vocal repertoire in general, I felt that this recent release of songs by the Dutch - American composer Richard Hageman may be of interest. I obtained the CD a few months ago but only had the chance yesterday to listen for the first time, and have to say that this CD would probably be at the top of my vocal list, both from a repertoire aspect, but also the superb (IMHO) rendition by the Australian soprano Siobhan Stagg. https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/voices-songs-by-richard-hageman/hnum/11068670.
Although the CD contains a few of Hageman's lighter efforts, the majority of the featured songs consist of high quality late romantic American art songs, extremely well written, with equally attractive piano accompaniments. Think of a blend of Amy Beach, Richard Strauss & perhaps Tchaikovsky for starters!

Alan Howe

John Boyer

Very interesting indeed!  An unsung composer (his connection to several John Ford classics notwithstanding) setting texts by unsung writer Robert Nathan...yes, definitely worth exploring.