Gonzalo Curiel Piano Concertos

Started by Febct, Friday 29 September 2023, 16:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Febct

The Toccata "pipeline" shows three piano concertos of Gonzalo Curiel (1904-1958).  To me, an unknown entity - but from a small clip of his first PC the sound is lushly romantic.  I don't know if this carries throughout, but I'll wait for Toccata to put up some samples once the CD is on the books.

eschiss1

Curiel's whole first two piano concertos are uploaded to Youtube as of 7-odd years ago (and a second? recording of the 2nd was uploaded 3 years ago?) so perhaps it is not entirely necessary to wait to make a judgment of the work, though yes to this particular recording, unless this is a reissue of the Orquesta Sinfónica de San Luis Potosí performance* (from the orchestra's own page) of no.2, say. (The opening pages of no.2 sound early-20th-century Romantic - Rachmaninoffish? in a way. Nice. - in my opinion.)

*"Este concierto se grabó el 14 de marzo de 2015 en el Palacio de Bellas Artes de la Ciudad de México."

Febct

Quote from: eschiss1 on Saturday 30 September 2023, 21:22Curiel's whole first two piano concertos are uploaded to Youtube as of 7-odd years ago (and a second? recording of the 2nd was uploaded 3 years ago?) so perhaps it is not entirely necessary to wait to make a judgment of the work, though yes to this particular recording, unless this is a reissue of the Orquesta Sinfónica de San Luis Potosí performance* (from the orchestra's own page) of no.2, say. (The opening pages of no.2 sound early-20th-century Romantic - Rachmaninoffish? in a way. Nice. - in my opinion.)

*"Este concierto se grabó el 14 de marzo de 2015 en el Palacio de Bellas Artes de la Ciudad de México."

Thank you.  This is a CD I'm waiting for, then.  Very appealing - very "nice," as you write.

eschiss1

With apologies for the digression, according to Wikipedia the concertos are from 1948 (No.1 in D-flat), 1950 (no.2 in D minor), and no.3 (unfinished, in one movement, premiered in 1967 a decade after his death. According to YouTube that one's in E-flat major and lasts 10 minutes? and does sound a bit more - early-20th-century/dissonant (Prokofiev-style, not Luigi Nono!)).

Alan Howe

No problem, Eric. As you see, I've created a new thread on Curiel's Piano Concertos as there seemed to be a lot of interest in them.

pianoconcerto

Unfortunately, the Curiel piano concerto CD has been in Toccata's pipeline for years, as evidenced by its low catalog number (0338).  That's some 370 discs before the latest listing in the pipeline.  Maybe Martin Anderson can let us know whether this will ever be released and, if so, when.