Paul von Klenau Symphony 8; VC; PC

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 11 April 2023, 09:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilja

Although being something of a Klenau fan and have already placed my order, I rather suspect this is going to scratch the boundaries of UC's remit. Particularly during the late 1930s and and early 40s, Klenau experimented with the integration of atonal elements into tonal music, including a foray into dodecaphonism (for instance in his infamous opera Rembrandt van Rijn, premiered in Germany in 1936).

Alan Howe

Do listen to the audio samples, Ilja. I think you'll be surprised how 'fitting' these works will be...

hyperdanny

100% agreed with Alan (and very glad to see that there's another Klenau "fan", just love this composer): the samples on jpc , interestingly longer than the usual snippets, sound very apt to this board's remit.
Loved especially the violin concerto and the symphony (the Menuett is IMHO a stunner)

eschiss1

Thumbs-up to DaCapo and all involved for undertaking this.

Mark Thomas

I must admit to also being surprised by the evidence of the audio extracts, all three works seem more "romantic" in style than I had expected.

Gareth Vaughan

Quoteall three works seem more "romantic" in style than I had expected

Although he used tone rows, von Klenau not infrequently employed them in an overtly melodic and romantic way. And, of course, he was not the only composer to do so. I look forward to buying this CD.

Ilja

I was merely wondering how representative these samples would be, but we'll see. With Klenau it can really go either way, also within the same work. 

By the way, I am told there are plans to stage Klenau's Rembrandt van Rhijn somewhere next year in Denmark. 

Alan Howe

I take your point, but with the Symphony taking only taking 13:39, my betting is that's it's a quasi-(late)Straussian romantic-style composition throughout.

eschiss1

did the symphony survive basically complete? the preface/notes to the score of his 9th, if I recall, suggested that several of his symphonies and other works (not all) were at best in need of reconstruction (when not lost or unperformable.)

Alan Howe

There's no suggestion that this is anything other than a complete symphony in miniature.

The eighth symphony, composed in Copenhagen in 1942, is one of Paul von Klenau's late works. It was discovered among Klenau's manuscripts more than half a century after the composer's death. In contrast to Klenau's last work – the huge ninth symphony from 1944–45 – his Symphony No. 8 is quite short and much simpler in style. It is obviously modelled after 18th-century symphonic traditions, as is also evident from the subtitle 'Im alten Stil' ('In olden style').
https://edition-s.dk/music/paul-von-klenau/symfoni-nr-8

eschiss1

Neat. Thanks!
I'm glad Edition S is still a going concern, too...

Ilja

The second movement of the Violin Concerto can now be found on Spotify in its entirety.

Ilja

Having bought and listened to this disc, I think it's fair to say that the suitability order for this forum is: symphony - piano concerto - violin concerto. The latter two are clearly permeated with Klenau's 12-tone technique, which the initiated might know from his 9th symphony. Having said that, Klenau's implementation is the mellowest one could imagine, and the end result is perhaps more reminiscent of Les Six than anything else. The 8th symphony is the shortest and least consequential piece on the release. It's okay, but I wouldn't want to part with 9 euros of my hard-earned just for this.

Alan Howe