Creating a full Raff collection

Started by TerraEpon, Wednesday 09 February 2011, 07:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

There are, literally, hundreds. The three upcoming CDs will hardly dent the pile.

TerraEpon

I have to wonder why the poster above didn't read my OP....

But at this point, I've mostly gotten everything (including the quintets disc with the Goetz) except for the songs (probably will skip em), the CPO Violin and Piano Vol, 2 (which seems to have disappeared completely), the Tudor Sonatilles and Morceaux disc, the string quartets (for some reason, I forgot to wishlist these), and the new quartets disc.

Every disc I *have* gotten has been wonderful, with absolute special note to the Sterling Violin and Orchestra disc -- it's extremely rare that when I rip a disc for my Mp3 collection I'll rip every track but I did on this one. One thing about this disc is....there's a typo on the back and the booklet that lists the suite as Op. 181 instead of 180 (the notes have it right). The review doesn't mention this, not that it's a big deal or anything.

Mark Thomas

The first of the upcoming trio of CDs of piano music will be released in April 2012 and I have just heard that the tracks and booklet notes will be available to download from November this year. The second CD is being recorded this weekend, as it happens...

fuhred

Don't miss the superb 19-minute overture Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott, Op. 127, coupled with the 5th 'Lenore' Symphony on Marco Polo. Even though you'll double up on the Symphony, it's worth having!

TerraEpon

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Saturday 25 June 2011, 06:27
The first of the upcoming trio of CDs of piano music will be released in April 2012 and I have just heard that the tracks and booklet notes will be available to download from November this year. The second CD is being recorded this weekend, as it happens...

Assuming this is Naxos (I think it was mentioned somewhere else it was?) that doesn't seem to have happened.

I did finally get the CPO Violin and Piano Vol. 2 disc from an Amazon seller who probably didn't realize what she had :P (as there were no other listings for it at the time. Also got lucky with another disc recently...)

So now I have everything, except the songs (not big on art songs in general really) and the string quartets. I can't even find the one CPO release on Amazon now...

Mark Thomas

Yes, the CDs will come out on Naxos. I'm not at liberty to say why the digital-only release in November was abandoned, but it's for sound marketing reasons which will become apparent when the recording is released on CD and digitally next year. All three CDs have now been recorded and we can expect releases throughout 2012, starting in April. The works on the first CD are:

Fantaisie WoO.15A
Frühlingsboten op.55
Drei Klavier-soli op.74