News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Lalo's Namouna

Started by kolaboy, Saturday 06 May 2023, 02:33

Previous topic - Next topic

kolaboy

Has the complete score of Lalo's Namouna ever been recorded? All I've managed to come across are the suites...

Alan Howe

kolaboy

eschiss1

Are you sure? A CD with Robertson with the Orch. of Monte Carlo on Auvidis claims to be the complete ballet music, lasting almost an hour, and was released in 1992. (Unless I'm mistaken and that's just a recording with all of the suites, but would that total 56 minutes? Martinon takes 38 minutes to get through suites 1 and 2- if there's a 3rd suite, or if this is just a slower recording, that might explain it. If Robertson left out vocal numbers that exist, then it's also not complete...)

(To further clarify or confuse, Apple Music describes the Auvidis CD as excerpts.)

kolaboy

Well, I spent the better part of last evening trying to sort it all out. I couldn't even find a complete list of the individual numbers comprising the ballet. Granted, Lalo isn't a huge name these days, but it IS a major work in his catalog...

eschiss1

Try the piano arrangement of the complete 2-act work at IMSLP, which has a 'Table des Morceaux" on page 7. Or I could reproduce the 23 items here, if that's ok with people.

kolaboy

Alan Howe

Try this - I don't think it's complete, but...

kolaboy

Likely as close to complete as we'll come in the foreseeable future. Thanks, AH; I managed to find a reasonably priced copy - as well as several very unreasonable priced ones.

jdperdrix

Robertson's version is definitely incomplete, missing nos 1, 13, 16, 18, 20, 21 and 22 of the ballet. The order on the record is not the right order either...

TerraEpon

Quote from: jdperdrix on Saturday 06 May 2023, 20:58Robertson's version is definitely incomplete, missing nos 1, 13, 16, 18, 20, 21 and 22 of the ballet. The order on the record is not the right order either...

I have this recording, and when I tagged it in 2013, my research showed the disc has music in the following order:
2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 19, 5, 12, 14, 15, 17 and 23. I'd have to check, but it might actually be in the liner notes.

eschiss1

Assuming the full scores and parts of all the material exists (it looks like the 585-page partially-autograph manuscript full score is at BNF Gallica, assuming that's complete?..., as is a 3rd rhapsody/suite, too, so... - there might be the possibility of making a recording of the whole thing, if someone typesets that beast...