Karłowicz Violin concerto Julia Fischer

Started by ewk, Monday 08 May 2023, 16:51

Previous topic - Next topic

ewk

Hi all,
Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of Andrzej Boreyko released a video of their live broadcast of the Karłowicz  violin concerto played by Julia Fischer:

I only knew this piece from its Naxos recording. As far as I can tell until now – I'm midway through the 1st movement only – Fischer's playing is superb and does the piece great justice.
Although I do not consider this piece a top rank concerto, I appreciate that it gets such a high-class outing here.

Best wishes! ewk

Alan Howe

At one time the VC wasn't recorded at all - I only knew about it from musical reference books. These days it appears quite frequently and quite right too because it's a very attractive work. Thanks for this.

John Boyer

Hats off to Julia Fischer. I still remember my surprise reading back in 2008 when she played the Saint-Saens B-minor concerto and the Grieg concerto in the same concert.

eschiss1

The latter presumably being someone's arrangement of one of Grieg's sonatas, or something? (Another example of people being more willing to go to concerts with, and play, "new" pieces by known composers than unknown but terrific pieces by underknown composers, imho...)

John Boyer

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 09 May 2023, 02:10The latter presumably being someone's arrangement of one of Grieg's sonatas, or something?

No, she played the Grieg piano concerto in its published form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjx-AxpZUxQ

CelesteCadenza

Quote from: John Boyer on Tuesday 09 May 2023, 02:40No, she played the Grieg piano concerto in its published form:
Remarkable. I am ashamed that I did not know of her keyboard talent prior to your alert. Brava Julia!

Mark Thomas

And there was I thinking that John had made an uncharacteristic typo! Apologies John and brava Julia indeed!

eschiss1

My apologies. The few times I've heard of someone able to perform and record two solo instruments it's generally been e.g. piano and organ, or violin and viola (eg multi-track recordings of duets...) - or other more closely-related (but only related) ones. Brava indeed.

John Boyer

Quote from: ewk on Monday 08 May 2023, 16:51Although I do not consider this piece a top rank concerto, I appreciate that it gets such a high-class outing here.

I certainly agree about the value of the work.  I've never warmed to it.  It has charm and is never unpleasant, but it seems to me there are so many other unplayed concertos that are better -- say, the Dietrich or the two Raff concertos, just for starters. But I suppose it's counterproductive to complain, because at least Ms. Fischer saw fit to play something different.  Would that more players would follow her example.

Alan Howe