Gauk Historical Recordings on Brilliant

Started by sdtom, Sunday 23 January 2011, 18:21

Previous topic - Next topic

sdtom

I just picked up this 10 CD set from Berkshire. Does anyone else have it? It is mono with limited dynamic range but so far they seem to be clean recordings.
Thomas :)

mbhaub

I didn't know that was available, especially at that low price. Will have to acquire. I do have the Tchaikovsky Snow Maiden recording, and it's just marvelous -- so much more idiomatic that any other version I've heard. Thanks for the tip.

sdtom

sdtom

Has anyone heard the ASV recording of Khatchaturian 1st Symphony. It is included in this Gauk set and I'm curious if someone has compared.

eschiss1

Quote from: sdtom on Thursday 03 February 2011, 23:03
Has anyone heard the ASV recording of Khatchaturian 1st Symphony. It is included in this Gauk set and I'm curious if someone has compared.
I think I may have heard at least part of the Gauk recording before, if it's the one that was on the LP Artia MK 1504. The local university library has it. Trying to remember if I asked to audition it... I did the Rachlin recording they have of the 2nd symphony (they have the ASV recordings too I think.) 
Does the set include any of his Myaskovsky recordings, by the way? (syms. 17, 27, etc.)

sdtom

Pengelli

Not my place to post here really,as I am not familiar with the recordings of Gauk,but I have the ASV recording of Khatchaturians 1st Symphony conducted by Tjeknavorian. I used to have the symphony on an RCA Lp when I was a teenager,and I think this was conducted by Tjeknavorian too,but has,apparently been deleted. It's not subtle,by any means,but at his best Khatchaturian was a fantastic orchestrator.

eschiss1

There are recordings of the 1st symphony by the composer, by Gauk, and by Tjeknavorian- probably others too. Also one on Aries attributed to "Errmanno Berladini".

And according to Tjeknavorian's website he did indeed record the revised version of the 1st symphony for RCA red seal.
Eric

sdtom

Quote from: eschiss1 on Friday 04 February 2011, 20:29
There are recordings of the 1st symphony by the composer, by Gauk, and by Tjeknavorian- probably others too. Also one on Aries attributed to "Errmanno Berladini".

And according to Tjeknavorian's website he did indeed record the revised version of the 1st symphony for RCA red seal.
Eric

Although I found the orchestration to be a bit weak on this one. I agree by the time he got to Spartacus and others he had matured.