Leopoldine Blahetka (1809-1885) Grand Duo Op47 for piano duet

Started by Martin Eastick, Friday 23 June 2023, 13:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

I was delighted to come across this new release:https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/leopoldine-blahetka-grand-duo-fis-moll-op-47-fuer-klavier-4-haendig/hnum/11526612. Although it seems a little strange that it appears to be the only work  on the CD, and therefore will be subject to the usual criticism of "short measure", the work itself is certainly up there with the best of the more serious sonata-type works for piano duet which appeared during the earlier part of the 19th century, with such illustrious stablemates as those by Moscheles, Onslow, Ries, Czerny, Kalkbrenner amongst others. The opening movement also brings Pixis to mind, with shades of his 6th piano trio, also in the same key of f sharp minor (the original of the infamous Turnabout "double concerto" hoax); and, coincidentally, both Pixis' and Blahetka's works date from around 1839, and both were dedicated to Clara Wieck (Schumann)!
I suppose it would have been a good idea to have filled out the disc with one of Kalkbrenner's two duet sonatas - preferably the second (Op79/80) which appeared in the mid 1820's - as Blahetka studied with him!
However, I await this Cd with eager anticipation!

eschiss1

With 9 tracks it's either much-subdivided or there -is- something else. We'll "know when we know"?...

eschiss1

From the clavierduo's website,
" Komponistinnen Leopoldine Blahetka: Grand Duo op. 47, Emilie Mayer: Faust-Ouvertüre, 4. Sinfonie, Jacqueline Fontyn: Hamadryades, Minako Tokuyama: Fin et Début"

That looks like it might be a description of the CD. Though I'm surprised that would fit on 9 tracks- well, 3 ? for the Blahetka, 5 for the 2 Mayer works, only 1 left over for 2 works, so guess not- hrmm...

eschiss1

oh, never mind, that's a list of their programs, not cds.

Martin Eastick

The Grand Duo is without doubt a substantial work (72 pages) - in 4 movements with the third being a Theme and variations, so I imagine each variation has its own track, hence a total of 9 in all! I would be very surprised though if the work exceeded 30 minutes playing time. I will just have to wait until the CD arrives......

Alan Howe

Wheesht

Jonathan

Alan Howe

There are now audio extracts at jpc - please see Martin Eastick's initial post for the link.