Louis Glass - Symphonic Concerto for Oboe and Orchestra, Op. 3

Started by Justin, Sunday 16 July 2023, 04:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

An interesting virtual reproduction of the work by the sheet music publisher, Albis Music.

The piece was written by Glass in 1888 and the publisher claims it is "The one and only romantic concert for oboe and orchestra written between 1823 and 1944."

My guess is that the range of years is bookended by Vincenzo Bellini's and Vaughan Williams' concertos, although one can also point to Charles Chaix's Choral for Oboe and Strings from 1944.

I would love to hear this recorded sometime in the future.

eschiss1

Interesting. So for one reason or another that leaves by the wayside (or maybe there's another explanation for) Luft's concertino in B-flat Op.5 published in 1840 (he would have been 10 in 1823), Grandval's concerto from 1877, for example. Interesting! Who knew?
(Or it could just be Albis is suffering from a minor - from their point of view - case of research error and not giving a toss...)

Alan Howe

I have changed the thread title in order to give Glass' piece its full title.

Ilja

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 16 July 2023, 17:26Interesting. So for one reason or another that leaves by the wayside (or maybe there's another explanation for) Luft's concertino in B-flat Op.5 published in 1840 (he would have been 10 in 1823), Grandval's concerto from 1877, for example. Interesting! Who knew?
(Or it could just be Albis is suffering from a minor - from their point of view - case of research error and not giving a toss...)
With a bit of good will, we could include Julius Rietz' Konzertstück of 1855, Klughardt's of 1870, Alexander Voormolen's Concerto for Two Oboes of 1933 and Johan Wagenaar's Larghetto for oboe and orchestra from 1934.

eschiss1

Also perhaps Goossens' from 1927, which they could not object to on the grounds of "It's not a _concerto_" :), and Boughton's 2 concertos from 1936 and 1937.

terry martyn

An unbelievable claim by the publisher.

Kalliwoda's Concertino is one of my favourite pieces in my whole collection.

Alan Howe