Enna Symphony No.2 and Violin Concerto

Started by eschiss1, Tuesday 01 August 2023, 09:40

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

The new Da Capo recording of August Enna's (2nd, but only existing) symphony and violin concerto are reviewed and released in the latest Records International (with the odd claim that each work is a premiere recording. The 2nd symphony was on cpo and the violin concerto was on Danacord, as I recall.)

terry martyn

The violin concerto was also released on cpo. i was listening to it only yesterday. It is quite operatic at times (Enna, as i recall, had italian ancestry).

Alan Howe

A useful coupling (if the performances are any good, of course), but both works are on cpo.

Ilja

And these come with attractive couplings; most of all the Violin Concerto with the lovely Symphonic Fantasy of 1931, which may have started life as Symphony No. 3. 

As Terry pointed out, Enna's origins were Sicilian - at least, his paternal grandfather was; his last name referred to the eponymous town in central Sicily. I'm not sure this fact alone automatically makes one more susceptible to an operatic approach, however.

terry martyn

Childhood influences,Ilja?   Because both cpo discs seem pretty operatic to me.

eschiss1

btw, while Enna's violin concerto is at IMSLP, his symphony no.2 isn't - too recently published, I think - but (I forget if this has been mentioned) it can be viewed online here: Issuu.com. (I was actually looking for someone else's 2nd symphony at the time, and found browseable scores of many others, some of which I'd heard, e.g. Roger Sessions; also, a modern edition of Borresen's is there, Alfvén's...- etc. As I may have said before, kind of neat site.)