News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Boughton and Graener

Started by eschiss1, Wednesday 02 August 2023, 14:18

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

I am beginning to read Hurd's "Rutland Boughton and the Glastonbury festivals". The first chapter covers his first 21 years, but already contains much of interest- for interest, the information that Boughton and Paul Graener met (1898?) at "Barth's" agency and, it's implied, formed a long friendship. (p.11.) Anyone know about this?

Gareth Vaughan

I think I did, Eric. But I know no more than is found in Michael Hurd's book, which I haven't read for about 10 years. Must look at it again.

Alan Howe

What would the significance of the relationship be? Politically, one would imagine they were polar opposites.

eschiss1

Probably; by the late 1910s when Boughton became firmer in his own political beliefs, they certainly were the opposite of Graener's beliefs, at least of the 1940s (whether those were the same as Graener's of the 1910s and 1920s I don't know!). Graener (and his cousin, with whom Boughton had a briefer friendship) -was- very helpful to Boughton both when Boughton and Christina (1888-1959) (his domestic partner, I guess a phrase might be)* spent awhile in Berlin (in 1915 I think?) and before that with Boughton's (early and now discarded) piano concerto... this may not count as "significant"; I still found it interesting.

*also muse, given that Boughton set some of her poetry. She's the dedicatee of The Immortal Hour.

eschiss1

btw the book as I have it (on loan from the (university) library and due back in a few days- my fault for not starting on it sooner; I borrow too much- but it is good!) is apparently a substantial 1993 revision of his earlier Boughton biography- which would make this its 30th anniversary, of course!