Striegler, Kurt (1886-1958)

Started by Reverie, Saturday 05 August 2023, 17:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

For more than 50 years, Striegler was committed to Dresden's musical life as a teacher, conductor, musician and composer.

He studied composition from 1900 to 1905 with Draeseke and conducting with Kutzschbach at the Dresden Conservatory.

Striegler composed operas, orchestral and chamber works, as well as songs, choral and organ compositions. Stylistically his music is very much in the late Romantic tradition. He may be best remembered in a rather negative light, as a result of his refusal to lend support to his conducting colleague Fritz Busch when Busch was under fire from the Nazis during the Third Reich.

The 4th Symphony dates from 1913 and is in one movement in four sections. I have made a rendition of the first part (Allegro risoluto) and the second (Adagio - canon)

LINK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7FYAd4hjiA

Alan Howe

Powerful stuff indeed. Almost Scriabinesque in those hyper-ecstatic climaxes. Thanks once again for your work on yet another completely forgotten score.

Ilja

A very interesting piece; it would be interesting to hear the rest of it, and the earlier symphonies.

By the way, Fritz Busch wasn't Striegler's only victim; he also forced out Paul Büttner as director of the Dresden Conservatory to become his successor in the post. Like the case of Max von Schillings, there was definitely an element of scores being settled by a composer who had become frustrated by a perceived lack of recognition.

eschiss1

Thank you, I've been curious about hearing as well as just seeing some of Striegler's scores, I look forward to listening to the video.