Gernsheim Violin Concertos at last!

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 12 August 2015, 08:13

Previous topic - Next topic

chill319

Quote...at a later age Gernsheim's style developed into something much more personal than before

The website Wormser Juden in der Geschichte (http://www.warmaisa.de/index.php?id=4595) avers that the high point of Gernsheim's chamber music is found in the slow movements of the fifth String Quartet, op. 83, and the second String Quintet, op. 89 -- both from the second decade of the twentieth century (shades of Bruch here). Can't wait to hear them.

eschiss1

Haven't heard the quintet, but the quartet's easy enough to hear at least in -a- performance (or a "performance" if you like) over @ IMSLP. (The 2nd string quintet, 1915, has been performed recentlyish I -think-, and also recently published by Edition Dohr, but not yet, I think, recorded. It was performed back in 1916, though.)

Alan Howe

It's always good to-revisit recordings acquired a while back - and this one is no exception. What's significant, I find, is that I now rather disagree with my initial view of VC1 as being on the same level as Bruch's VC3 or VC3 - simply because its melodic profile doesn't match Bruch's in either work. It's beautiful throughout, but not really distinctive - whereas Gernsheim's late VC2 from 1912 I now find to be a much stronger and personal, less 'generic' piece. In its sparer, yet more passionate way it's VC2 that surely deserves a place in the repertoire/concert hall. It's quite short (22 mins in Roth's recording) and would make a fine centrepiece to any programme. Written when the composer was 72/3, it's as if Gernsheim was free to compose looking backing back on the conservative tradition that was almost played out and give it a happy send-off. Within four years he would be dead...

eschiss1

And 7 years later those two works (quartet no.5 and string quintet no.2) on a CD announced quite awhile back by the Diogenes Quartet are soon to be available on cpo. A wider representation of his late work is available to hear, I think (I've noticed that a fair amount of it was unpublished.)
Meanwhile, this is impetus for me to give the violin concertos CD a really good listen. Thanks.