News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

The Future of BIS

Started by semloh, Saturday 09 September 2023, 07:59

Previous topic - Next topic

TerraEpon

Quote from: Ebubu on Sunday 29 October 2023, 22:34Who says they're interested in SELLING recordings when they're giving them all for free ? Looks like they're more interested in drowning Deezer, Qobuz, Spotify and all the other paying platforms.

I'm going to guess you never really engage with younger people online. A large percentage of self-proclaimed music lovers pretty much never buy music any more -- many never have. It's a causal loop that stemmed from the rise of streaming, but it's less that they are 'not interested in selling' but rather they (supposedly) have the data that shows they make more money from offering it on these platforms (which aren't free in the truest sense, either because of ads or of course because of being locked behind subscriptions).

Ebubu

No need to "engage with younger people online" to be perfectly aware that they "pretty much never buy music any more".  As a matter of fact, it's not only "the younger people", I've myself not bought a CD for the last 5 or 6 years (but again I'm still young at heart !  ;) ).

"([platforms] which aren't free in the truest sense, either because of ads or of course because of being locked behind subscriptions)"
We've had this discussion before.  What counts is that in the end, for the listener, some platforms are free (YT, even though it attempts, rather agressively these days, to either force a monthly subscription on the viewers or subject them to unbearable ads every 5 minutes or so.  Fortunately, there are very efficient ad blockers out there, and ways to get around it, at least for the the geeks among us), and some are not (Qobuz, Idagio, Deezer, Spotify....).
But I'm glad "they (SUPPOSEDLY) have the data that shows they make more money from offering it on these platforms. 
I guess it all comes down, ultimately, to the Schwabian New World Order philosophy: "you'll own nothing and you'll be happy!"

terry martyn

I vowed that I would never buy a CD, when it appeared that vinyl was done and dusted, but in 2017 I changed my mind and have just today (with the arrival of my purchase of Moscheles' Eighth) made up for 30 years of self-denial by completing my collection   - assuming that vol.3 of the Krumpholz harp symphonies and concertos never again sees the light of day.

But I am an old dinosaur,and I will never never download.   Weeell, hardly ever.

Justin

I don't know what my input is worth as a "young whippersnapper," but I think part of this is recognizing how technology has changed consumer behavior. As many streaming platforms can be accessed on your phone, you can listen to them anywhere and have that benefit of portability that physical media doesn't. Certain platforms like Apple offer lossless quality which gets you virtually close to CD quality.

Following up on Dinosaur Terry's message, Vinyl is still ideal due to its analog nature, but I sacrifice some of that for the benefit of listening anywhere I go.

BIS is well-aware of this I'm sure, and having their catalog managed digitally by Apple will grant them wider access and perhaps better marketing.

The cases where I do buy physical media is for the booklets or libretto, and BIS' Sibelius Edition is special enough where I would happily buy the CDs. Same for Sterling.

Ebubu

"The cases where I do buy physical media is for the booklets or libretto"

You must be aware that many websites now offer booklets on download for free (Hyperion, Naxos, Toccata Classics,... and you can download many others from Idagio, without even buying a subscription.

Alan Howe

For me the issue is how/where do I want to read stuff? On a PC, laptop, phone? No way! I want the physical product in my hands, rather as I want a physical book rather than text on an e-reader. Call me a dinosaur...

Justin

I'm with you Alan, so if you are a dinosaur, then I am in serious trouble at my age!

semloh

The BIS website is already attracting critical comment. Looks like the marketing whizz-kids have been given free rein.