Unsung music by unknown women

Started by Jacky, Tuesday 13 March 2012, 10:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacky

I've seen somewhere a topic about the most unsung category of composers-women.It's long since no one posted,so I think it's the time,to talk again about women.
The situation has radically changed and contemporary women composers are a lot.But hardly someone knows the names of Farrenc,Jaell,Clark,Chaminade,Beach.I am actually listening to one of my favorite works Marie Jaell's cello sonata.So,let's check the archives and try to find some unsung music wrote by unknown women..

fr8nks

I just listened to a woderful CD by Florence B. Price which contained her Symphony No.1 in E minor and Concerto in One Movement.

Jacky

Haven't listened.Here is another category of unsung composers-Afro American or black.I mean Saint Georges and some others-I once heard a very nice and interesting disc on Cedille with violin concertos from the 18th and 19th century by black composers.

JimL

Great performance of the White F-sharp minor on that disc.

rbert12

Two Spanish women composers that belong to this forum.

Matilde Salvador (Castellón de la Plana 1918-2007), composed two operas, the second of them, Vinatea was premiered in the Gran Treatre del Liceu in Barcelona (1974), five ballets and, foremost, a lot of vocal works. I will post in the Spanish Composers folder some of her works.

María Teresa Prieto (Oviedo 1896 - 1982, in México from 1937), composed symphonic and chamber works. Sorry no post, but her symphonic works, including her three symphonies (1942, 1945, 1951), ballet Palo Alto, symphonic poem Chiken Itza and others were issued in 2 CDs by Verso. You can find them probably in Amazon and for sure in emusic (I checked).

chill319

Mary Lou Williams' anthem, Black Christ of the Andes, is a powerful work, purely classical in style.