Rita Strohl Voume 1 – musique vocale

Started by Wheesht, Friday 06 October 2023, 07:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

The second composer after Charlotte Sohy on the new label La Boîte à Pépites is Rita Strohl. Volume 1 (of three), a double CD with her songs, is is due for release on 27 October: e.g. from Presto Music.

ewk

How very welcome. After hearing the gorgeous Cello Sonata "Titus et Bérénice", I am very eager to explore more of her output. I read she also wrote some rather large orchestral music – would be fascinating to listen to that, too.

Wheesht

Elles Women Composers have just published a short portrait of Rita Strohl in their Compositrices Dessinées series, here.

ewk

Quote from: Wheesht on Friday 10 November 2023, 16:37Elles Women Composers have just published a short portrait of Rita Strohl in their Compositrices Dessinées series, here.
How interesting, they mention a recording of some orchestral music, too, and excerpts are played. Let's hope they are going to be included in the next volume.

BTW, for anyone wanting to play Rita Strohl's most famous work him- or herself – publisher B-Note has just published Strohl's gorgeous Cello Sonata "Titus et Bérénice" in cleaned-up reprint which was not publicly available before (at least through the sources I was able to search).

eschiss1

I'm not surprised their reprint wasn't available before, it's their reprint. The 1898-published original is at some libraries though (at least at the French National Library), see Worldcat.

ewk

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 16 November 2023, 15:59I'm not surprised their reprint wasn't available before, it's their reprint. The 1898-published original is at some libraries though (at least at the French National Library), see Worldcat.
Well, of course their reprint was not available before as it is their own ;-)
However, my bad, I had only searched for "Titus et Bérénice" at worldcat and did not find it therefore, as it is listed as "sonate dramatique pour piano et violoncelle". Thanks for the hint! I had already wondered where all the recordings got the score from.

eschiss1

What's weird is that BNF's listing, as opposed to Worldcat's, of the 1898 edition-
as here -
"Sonate dramatique [Musique imprimée] : Titus et Bérénice : pour violoncelle et piano" - does have Titus et Bérénice - and Worldcat usually just duplicates such things and would usually mention the subtitle somewhere, unless there's a hidden library besides BNF whose listing is being combined with it @ Worldcat and whose listing does not mention Titus etc., and Worldcat is for whatever reason mentioning only the information common to all listings of the Enoch 1898 material. Odd.

eschiss1

Incidentally, I was going to upload choral parts by "M. Strohl", and digitized by and attributed to her by BNF, but they were apparently composed two years before she was born. It seemed a better idea to inform them that something seemed off... anyhow, thanks for the notice of the recording, which I very much look forward to listening to and more than once, as well :)