Friedrich Lux organ music vol.2

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 15 October 2023, 11:49

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

also hot off the Toccata pipeline (available streaming, at least, only as of last week) - a second volume of organ music by Friedrich Lux (1820-95). (All I've heard by him so far is one of his string quartets, but I'm adding this to my streaming bookmarks.)

Alan Howe

I'm not sure about this release. Organ enthusiasts may well enjoy it, but is there really anything of great interest here for the general listener?

Febct

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 15 October 2023, 19:42I'm not sure about this release. Organ enthusiasts may well enjoy it, but is there really anything of great interest here for the general listener?

No.

How Toccata can turn a profit on a release like this is beyond me.

Alan Howe

I find it strange that this material is being recorded when there are, for example, chamber works by a master such as Ferdinand Thieriot waiting to be committed to disc. Do we really want to hear Lux's transcriptions for organ of pieces by sundry other composers? By all means record Lux's own music (as long as it's worth doing), but this is surely scraping the barrel...

Gareth Vaughan

I am afraid I can similarly raise no enthusiasm for this project. So much 19th century organ music, unless the work of gifted composers (Mendelssohn, and the French masters, for example) is, at least to my ears, dull, muddy, undistinguished and boring - apologies to organists, who may think differently!