A Marschner delight - vol.2 (Naxos)

Started by terry martyn, Wednesday 01 November 2023, 10:14

Previous topic - Next topic

terry martyn

I am playing the second volume of Naxos's new Marschner series ("Overtures and Stage music") as I type.  Assembled and conducted with elan by our distinguished colleague, Dario Salvi.

It is a box of delights, and I reckon the orchestra, which I have never come across before - the Hradec Kralove Philharmonic - gives full value.

So I am giving a shout out for a CD full of pacy, melodious, well-constructed and highly enjoyable music!

terry martyn

I enjoyed it so much that I am doing something I rarely do - playing it through again, immediately!

Mark Thomas

I do agree, Terry: uncomplicated, tuneful, colourfully orchestrated (for its time) and nothing outstays its welcome.

Alan Howe

A very pleasurable listening experience indeed. I'm frequently reminded of Weber.

Mark Thomas

To round out the Kaiser Adolph von Nassau excerpts on this disc, there's a reasonably lively performance by Alfred Walter and the Slovak State Philharmonic of its Overture on an early Marco Polo collection of Marschner overtures.

DarioSalviConductor

Thank you all! I truly loved making this recording and rediscovering the music.
Mark - well spotted. My new series (of 4 volumes) will not include any piece from the Marco Polo release - so that it will (at last) allow us to have on recorded almost everything that Marschner wrote for the stage (in terms of purely orchestral selection). I thought it pointless, for now, to re-record overtures already available to the listener. The one I am not too happy about is Lucretia - but I can lie with it.
I am delighted you are enjoying the second Volume! THANK YOU!

Mark Thomas

semloh

Hear, hear. Another hugely entertaining disc. Thank you, Dario!