Natanael Berg - Symphonies 4, 5

Started by FBerwald, Saturday 23 September 2023, 14:49

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Stenhammar 2 "philosophizing"- I wonder if Atterberg was thinking of Russell and Wittgenstein :)

John Boyer

Quote from: eschiss1 on Sunday 12 November 2023, 13:15Stenhammar 2 "philosophizing"- I wonder if Atterberg was thinking of Russell and Wittgenstein :)

Must have been Wittgenstein, since his brother was a pianist.  The musical connection, you know.

I must say I'm quite fond of the Berg fourth. I bought the whole set of the five Berg symphonies, but the final disc of the Fourth and Fifth is the only one that I will keep. The Fourth strikes me as the right blend of seriousness and dignity, mixed with good nature. The Fifth is not bad, albeit a bit too expansive, but the others have too much of a Hollywood air for my taste, a problem I had with the Rangstrom symphonies too.

However, everyone should judge for himself.  Give them a try. 

Alan Howe

The 5th Symphony dates from 1924-6 and is in three movements, hence 'Triologia delle passioni". It is a striking work in a darkly late-romantic and chromatic idiom, evidently expressive of suffering in the opening movement and deeply felt. The second movement combines slow movement and scherzo, with a particularly affecting passage eventually emerging out of the opening bars only to be submerged by scampering strings (the scherzo section). Peace ensues, although struggle is involved, the mood changing swiftly as the music progresses. The finale continues the theme of struggle, only now more violently, with sorrow gradually countered and conquered. Victory is at last won, but the attempt at a transcendant-sounding resolution doesn't really work. The fade-out ending is lovely, but it would take a greater composer to move this listener.

This is certainly eventful music. Is it particularly personal, though? I'm not sure. There doesn't seem to be an individual voice here. Although inventive, the impression is of an all-purpose late romanticism. Its most effective moments are probably the darker ones...

Tapiola

As a whole, this recent release makes for a nice listening session where luscious late-Romantic gestures and splendid orchestration are the rule, but these two symphonies are hardly essential I'm afraid. I wish there were more discernible and memorable tunes / thematic material on them. Anyway, thank CPO for completing another symphony cycle (now I'm waiting for them to complete Louis Glass's cycle).

Alan Howe

Agreed. I remember the mood(s) of the music, but not much more...

Ilja

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 13 November 2023, 16:35This is certainly eventful music. Is it particularly personal, though? I'm not sure. There doesn't seem to be an individual voice here. Although inventive, the impression is of an all-purpose late romanticism. Its most effective moments are probably the darker ones...

For me this is the crucial difference that makes Atterberg the better, or at least the more memorable, composer of the two. Atterberg's music is instantly recognizable, Berg's not so much.

eschiss1

There's a few others they've begun that I hope they will finish, of course :) - if this is in the realm of possibility.