Shepherd, Arthur (1880-1958)

Started by Reverie, Wednesday 15 November 2023, 16:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverie

Arthur Shepherd was born in Paris, Idaho, into a Mormon family.

He entered the New England Conservatory when he was only twelve years old graduating with honors. In his twenties he returned to the Conservatory to further his studies under George Chadwick among others.

He is best known for his Horizons Symphony (1921)

Overture to a Drama dates from 1919 - this rendition reveals a composer with a complete mastery of the orchestra. He joins the list of many forgotten American composers.

OVERTURE TO A DRAMA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XbU9B1YyFE

Alan Howe

Now this I like! It's written in a full-on late, late-romantic idiom which I appreciate. I suppose it's easy to see why it was soon forgotten: by 1919 the tide of musical fashion (i.e.modernism) was against him.

Thanks so much for rescuing yet another piece from oblivion!

Reverie

Thank you. It's wonderful music isn't it!

The Marriot Library (University of Utah) has an archive dedicated to Shepherd.

I found this in their brief history:

His "Overture to a Drama," composed in 1919, received four performances by the Cleveland Orchestra alone, the last being "illuminated by an impassioned performance under George Szell," according to the feature story in the April 1950 issue of Musical Quarterly.

These were possibly the last performances?

Alan Howe

A performance in Cleveland under Szell must have been something to behold! One of the greatest conductor-orchestra combinations of all time!

Mark Thomas

Good, strong red-bloodied stuff! Many thanks, yet again, Martin.
Quoteby 1919 the tide of musical fashion (i.e.modernism) was against him.
Indeed, but I can hear pre-echoes of Howard Hanson in the music too.

Alan Howe

I'd say Hanson was an outlier in respect of musical fashion, though. That's why I like him!

Mark Thomas

I agree. There's a definite "American" sound to Shepherd's orchestral writing which has now become very familiar from the work of later composers, such as Hanson.

semloh

There is an old performance of his first symphony on YT at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gcWAndyj60
... posted, I think, by one of our UC members.

Alan Howe

I came across this too, but it's barely listenable - unfortunately.