Joachim Raff: Symphony No.10

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 02 December 2023, 08:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Many thanks to Justin for uploading the recording of a recent broadcast of Raff's Symphony No.10 Zur Herbstzeit. At first hearing it's a more driven and dynamically varied account of it than we've had so far on disc and, as such, may be more in keeping with what Raff originally intended - we know that his requested tempi were generally regarded as brisk even for his time, and so the 20th/21st century "slow down" in tempi has rather misrepresented Raff's intentions (Järvi being an honourable exception). I'm very much looking forward to enjoying a more leisurely listen later on today.

Mark Thomas

I've listened to this a few times now. OK, so the Jena Philharmonic isn't the Berlin Philharmonic, there is the odd bit of scratchy playing from the strings in the 2nd movement and finale, but it's a decent German provincial orchestra and Simon Gaudenz's is a very convincing reading of No.10, the symphony which that doyen of Raff advocates Alan Krueck reckoned to be "the best balanced and most sustained in inspiration of the four in the cycle; it is an almost flawless work and certainly the best of Raff's symphonies after the Lenore. There is a depth to the Tenth symphony which gives the work a unique place among the composer's works in general." I've never been too sure whether the work justified that comment until now but I must say that this performance shines a much brighter light on it than any of the four commercial recordings. It's Raff's shortest symphony and, at 29 minutes, Gaudenz's performance is shorter than any of the commercial ones which range between 31 and 35 minutes long. The second and fourth movements are taken at quite a lick (the finale in particular is splendidly exciting, no longer coming across as Im Walde's poor relation), whilst the opening and third movements unfold unhurriedly but with no dawdling. All in all, quite an ear opener.

Alan Howe

Listening to the opening of the first movement I'm struck by the extra 'fizz and zip' of the performance under Gaudenz. This makes the work a less comfortable experience and differentiates it more from the symphonies of his contemporaries. Perhaps the fact that Gaudenz is conducting a smaller regional orchestra is actually more appropriate? Fascinating.

In particular, I notice more 'hairpin' crescendos than in the two commercial recordings we have - are they in the score?

Justin

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 03 December 2023, 20:28Listening to the opening of the first movement I'm struck by the extra 'fizz and zip' of the performance under Gaudenz.

I also notice this in the second movement with the crisp pizzicato of the basses and also the hopping woodwinds.

In general, I find that the sound on this is the most superior, as I can more distinctly hear the woodwinds.

I'll be keeping an eye out if Gaudenz will be taking a crack at the other symphonies. It's clear that he brings a much-needed perspective to Raff's later symphonies.