The eclipse of César Franck's Symphony

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 02 December 2023, 19:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

Wasn't Franck's symphony at the Proms as recently as late summer 2022?

jdperdrix

Ilja

Personally, I'd put Boëllman at a somewhat greater distance from Franck. He wasn't as much part of his orbit as others mentioned here.

Alan Howe

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 26 December 2023, 01:39Wasn't Franck's symphony at the Proms as recently as late summer 2022?

Yes, it was - conducted by Fabien Gabel. Probably to mark the bicentenary of Franck's birth.

eschiss1

Also, was this whole conversation prompted by the upcoming (12 January 2024) issue of a CD on Naxos of Chausson and Franck symphonies conducted by Jean-Luc Tingaud? (It's unclear right now whether this will be a reissue of his 1994 Dorian recording of the Chausson symphony, but judging from the description of the text of the Chausson as much-edited, maybe not?)

Edit: correction. The new recording of the Chausson takes 2 minutes longer in the Chausson first movement, e.g. ...compare old to new. (Edit 2: the only obvious older commercial Franck recording by Tingaud is of Psyché, le Chasseur maudit, and les Éolides, also on Naxos.)

Alan Howe

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 28 December 2023, 13:33Also, was this whole conversation prompted by the upcoming (12 January 2024) issue of a CD on Naxos of Chausson and Franck symphonies conducted by Jean-Luc Tingaud?

No. I was merely pondering how the avalanche of releases of Bruckner and Mahler symphonies has affected other contemporary symphonists, and in particular Franck and his successors. I was also thinking about different approaches to Franck's Symphony in particular and its discographical history. That's when it dawned on me how little attention it has had from conductors and record labels in recent years. I don't think a release, however good, on Naxos by a conductor hardly anyone has heard of is going to make much of an impact. I may investigate it, though!

Alan Howe

Here's a performance of the 'grand and unhurried' variety - not great sonics, but the conductor really believes in the piece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeLcH2nLshI

Elgar4Ever

The Langree performance was lovely. Thanks for sharing the link.
Upon investigation, Langree recorded both the Franck and Chausson Symphonies in 2005. Universal Music France 476 8069, the barcode is  0028947680697.
Langree is the music director of the Cincinnati Symphony. Those Ohioans are lucky to have him.

Alan Howe

I had already ordered a copy of the recording you mention. I rather think it flew under the radar when it was released.

eschiss1

Re Mahler, though, having just listened to maybe as much as I could of a poor (painful...) performance of his sixth, the fact that there -are- so many orchestras that can even perform his works (note-perfect and with shape) (and make them sound easy!..., but then I hear a performance like this last* one after just a few minutes in...) - which reminds me of something Alan Walker wrote about Liszt's sonata... - deserves, but won't receive here, praise.

*Essen Philharmonic, on YouTube, which avoid.

Alan Howe

For me it's something of a trial even to consider how much poor Mahler (and Bruckner) there is out there. No wonder Dave Hurwitz is so often apoplectic in his videos - he has a right to be! There are conductors who shouldn't be taking on this repertoire (e.g. Nelsons in Bruckner) and orchestras which are simply not up to the job (e.g. the Essen Philharmonic in Mahler, mentioned by Eric, above).

It's a relief to turn to Franck - frankly! Who says you can't encompass all the emotions within a 40-minute span anyway?

How about Karajan for 'grand and unhurried' in Franck's Symphony?>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSSK7KaGjyE

eschiss1

Well, if you raise the issue, I hear a much wider range in the only slightly longer Mahler 4. Irony, for starters.