Bernard Herrmann: Wuthering Heights - Suite for Soprano Baritone & Orchestra

Started by M. Yaskovsky, Wednesday 31 May 2023, 11:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I'm not convinced that this release is as good as some reviews make out. The singing could have been better, IMHO.

TerraEpon

Quote from: John Boyer on Sunday 23 July 2023, 19:46He should be honored that interest in his music is enough that his wishes are so disrespected!

That is a great quote!

adriano

Thanks, John Boyer :-)

Some members in here may be interested in this little (personal) digression, I hope:

(String sextet works arranged for string orchestra):

- Tchaikovsky: Souvenir de Florence – yes, as, for example, the version by Anton Seidl
- Schoenberg: Verklärte Nacht – yes indeed, the composer did it (Karajan's fabulous recording will never be surpassed!)

(String quartet works arranged for string orchestra):

- Beethoven: Quartets Op. 131 and 135, arranged by Leonard Bernstein – rather no, although wonderfully performed/recorded by him!
- Schubert: Der Tod und das Mädchen, arr. Gustav Mahler – ok, but rather no.
(Incidentally, I do not agree Mahler's opinion that Beethoven's and Schubert's quartets were actually intended to be symphonies and the composers renounced to work further on it because they felt unable!).
- Respighi: Il tramonto (with singing voice) – the composer wrote out a separate double bass part without caring of the remaining, in case it should become a string orchestra; so I also did, but still prefer the original 😊
- Barber: Adagio for strings – The original was a string quartet movement. Barber also arranged it as an Agnus Dei for 8-part choir - no further comment :-)
- Barber: Dover Beach (with singing voice) - should be left as intimate as it is.
- Schoeck: Notturno (with singing voice, Alban Berg liked it) – this could work in an arrangement for string orchestra, but the original is great, expressionistic and visionary enough.
- Shostakovich: Quartet, op. 110, arr. Barshai – why not?
etc.

And there are some original string orchestra pieces which could be re-arranged (or already have been re-arranged) for string quartet 😊

Incidentally, The (excellent) Herrmann CD by the Tippett Quartet (Label: Signum Classics, 2011) induding "Echoes" and "Souvenir de Voyage", also features a "Psycho, Suite for string quartet", arranged by Richard Birchall. The liner notes say: "The suite has been arranged and double tracked" (!??).

Friedhofer

To Adrianos earler comment; The Bernard Herrmann Clarinet Quintet has indeed been adapted for Clarinet and String Orchestra. It's now been premiered and recorded for a future release. 

Friedhofer

Maybe also adding on that the good people in Singapore has recorded the Robert Russell Bennett Violin Concert and the Vernon Duke Violin Concerto (Chloe Hanslip, violin Andrew Litton, Conductor) for a future Chandos release.
The new recording from Singapore of the Kozlowski Requiem will be released on Pentatone April 2024.

Alan Howe

Good news. Perhaps we could start some new threads when the recordings are released otherwise this one is in danger of getting seriously off-topic.