Scherber Symphony No.3 in B minor (premiere)

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 05 December 2023, 17:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

eschiss1

2 cds, 1 recording of this Zodiac symphony each? Interesting.

Ilja

I am quite torn about Scherber's music, and particularly the 3rd symphony (of which I was unaware it was zodiac-themed until now). I can't deny its visceral effectiveness, but it also very much feels like a musical (Brucknerian) dead end (I was going to write "artistically bankrupt" but that's perhaps too harsh) and is obviously way too long for its material. The First Symphony remains the most successful of the three for me; after that it becomes repetitive and gimmicky.

But I'm curious how you lot feel about it.

Alan Howe

der79sebas

In this CD box are included the recording of the first live performance in Barcelona 2019 and the following studio production of Scherber 3, both with Schlüren conducting. Unfortunately, Schlüren needs 67 minutes compared with the 54 minutes of Lampson (col legno) and Scherber's own historical recording with piano. For me, this does not at all work and makes the recording VERY boring and tame. So, stick with Lampson's recording to get the full insanity and astonishing drive of Scherber 3.

eschiss1

I've never heard of Elmar Lampson before. (The only musician I've heard of by that name was Dave Lampson, for what it's worth.)

Alan Howe

The existing recording of Scherber's 3rd Symphony released on the Col Legno label in 2001 is conducted by Elmar Lampson - a German composer and conductor, b.1952. Information about him is freely available online. His recording seems now only to be available as a download.

I'm sorry to say that the new release looks to be a non-starter. I'm beginning to regret I started this thread!

semloh

For anyone, like me, who hasn't heard Scherber's music, all three symphonies can be heard on YT. I'll give them a go - "repetitive and gimmicky" is intriguing!

Tapiola

Quote from: semloh on Thursday 14 December 2023, 07:57For anyone, like me, who hasn't heard Scherber's music, all three symphonies can be heard on YT. I'll give them a go - "repetitive and gimmicky" is intriguing!

Really? I couldn't find the Symphony No. 3. Could you please provide a link of that work?

Alan Howe

As far as I can see, only excerpts ('Ausschnitte') from No.3 are available on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_hj6Nsnhk

semloh

Yes, I hadn't noticed it was not the complete symphony.  ::)
I must add that Adriano's recording of the 1st symphony is most engaging.