Non-operatic Suppé world premiere recording

Started by Martin Eastick, Tuesday 12 December 2023, 16:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

I can't see this recording doing Ola Rudner's reputation any good. His CD of Sgambati symphonies was really worthwhile, but this is a dud.

eschiss1

He also recorded some Audite discs of music by Eduard Franck, I see. I haven't heard them yet (I intend to), so I can't judge his conducting...

Alan Howe

The conducting's perfectly fine, but the music's just not worthy of his talents. IMHO, of course.

As far as I know Rudner has only made one CD of music by Eduard Franck for Audite.

eschiss1

You're probably right, I'm not sure why I wrote that. This one from 2012 and containing somewhat miscellaneous works- will still look into it :)
Presto has 81 recordings in his discography when one includes compilations some of the works in which are from recordings of his. And as you say, you're not criticizing his conducting here. I wasn't aware his discography was so large though, anycase (well, ok, medium-etc.) (The other big thing that's relevant to us may be his recording of Saint-Saëns' Le déluge.)

Ilja

The scrappy strings are a bigger problem than the repertory as far as Mr. Rudner's reputation is concerned, I think.

I've finally been able to digest Suppé's Fantasia Symphonica and while it may be fantastic, it certainly doesn't appear to be particularly symphonic. "Awkward symphonies by representatives of other genres" is something of a subgenre in itself, it seems - one characterized by the composers' steadfast refusal to conjure up anything approaching a "symphonic argument". There's Bellini's symphony and Verdi's three Sinfonias", all of which wouldn't sound out of place as orchestral sinfonias in the middle of one of their operas (and in Verdi's case, were in at least one case). A particularly interesting parallel case is the Maltese Paolino Vassallo, a composer of predominantly sacral works whose single symphony always sounds as though the choir may come in any moment - but never like a symphony. But even set against all of those, Suppé's work mostly feels like a waste of three overtures.

Alan Howe

I was hoping for something that would at least be entertaining, but this is just trash. Some music is best left undiscovered and unperformed.

Ilja

I think it is partly entertaining trash, but trash nonetheless. It just baffles me that someone who is such a master in one musical genre can show such an utter lack of understanding of another. Set that against people like Bretón and Chapí, Zarzuela (similar to Operetta) composers who composed really worthwhile orchestral music.

eschiss1

Over a century's use of the word "fantastic" as a judgment of quality (as opposed to its varied musical history- English phantasies, Mozart fantasies, Schumann fantasiestücke, Berlioz symphonie fantastique ...) leads to weird puns...

Ilja

Great observation: if someone includes both "fantastic" and "symphony" in the title, it's inevitable to draw comparisons with Berlioz, leaving poor Franz with little opportunity to shine.

eschiss1

To be fair, the number of fantastic symphonies/symphonic fantasias between Berlioz and Martinu is not small.

TerraEpon

It's melodic enough -- and I suppose perhaps as a knock against it 'obvious' enough -- that I could actually hum along with it the first time. Honestly I really enjoy it. Melodic bombast is really up my ally.