Grzegorz Fitelberg: Symphony in E minor, Op.16

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 20 December 2023, 08:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

For enthusiasts of Polish rarities, Grzegorz Fitelberg's Symphony in E minor is due out in digital format on Friday from Dux - audio extracts here. The Poznan Philharmonic Orchestra is conducted by Łukasz Borowicz.

Alan Howe

Yes: I'd spotted that too. Another must-buy (sigh)!

Alan Howe

...sounds lovely, by the way. 27+ minutes of attractive eastern-European late-romanticism.

eschiss1

Ilja

I just listened to the Fitelberg First Symphony (YouTube)*, and while charming enough, it's not nearly as individual as his other symphonic efforts such as the poems Song of the Falcon or From the Depths of the Sea. Stylistically, after a first hearing it felt somewhat disjointed as well; the first and (to a lesser degree) second movements sound like pastiches of a Tchaikovsky ballet turned into a symphonic movement, the scherzo feels more Straussian, whereas the finale reminded me mostly of Stenhammar's Excelsior!

It's all competently put together and played very well by the Poznán Phil under Borowicz - but also a tad forgettable, if I'm honest.

* Apparently, there's a Second Symphony in A major from 1907.

Mark Thomas

I too was more than a tad disappointed by this "symphony" which, because of the stylistic lurches so well characterised by Ilja, seems more of a suite than a cohesive symphony. The first two movements reminded me of Karlowicz's roughly contemporary Symphony rather than Tchaikovsky (although admittedly I haven't checked if it predates Fitelberg's) but whatever, unfortunately none of the movements remind one of the Fitelberg works we already know. If there's a later, Second Symphony then maybe that will prove to be the Fitelberg symphony I'd hoped for.

Alan Howe

A minor pleasure, then? The Karlowicz is much the same.

terry martyn

I didn't think it hung together,either.   I reckon I can sit this one out.

eschiss1

Karlowicz symphony: composed 1899-1902 (or 1903-9??) so good question. Fitelberg first symphony: premiered and published 1904, but date of composition not known to me.

Ilja

If I had to look for an influence in the Russo-Polish lands (something of an assumption, of course), it's probably Stojowski's D minor symphony from 1897. That work is remarkably similar in its overall atmosphere and architecture, even if Stojowski pulls it off rather better. Karlowicz's symphony is a work of far greater ambition - and, honestly, achievement - than Fitelberg's. Another possible local influence might be Noskowski, even if I don't really hear it in the music.

I hold out some hope for the Second Symphony, seeing as Fitelberg's oeuvre took on a somewhat more daring character after 1904. But we'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Alan Howe

Having ordered the CD from jpc, I find I rather enjoyed the piece. Strange to have a 28-minute late-romantic symphony, though. More when I've absorbed it properly...

Alan Howe

The issue with this symphony is not so much the material itself, but that it all seems to pass the listener by in a flash, undeveloped. After all, 28 minutes is extremely short for a late-romantic work that's just begging for a level of expansion commensurate with the generosity of the orchestration. The finale, at 5:40, is more or less a complete let-down after the first three movements which I greatly enjoyed. A failure, then, overall, but a very attractive one for 22+ minutes. The use of the orchestra is sophisticated and colourful - and the performance here by the Poznan Philharmonic could hardly be bettered.

semloh

Yes, I agree, Alan. Like an empty chocolate box.....  ;D

Mark Thomas

Despite repeated listens I've jut failed to engage with this work. It certainly sounds appealing but there's an emptiness to it, as if it was a student exercise written out of duty rather than out of compulsion to create. So, as Alan writes, some of the elements are there: promising material, inventive and colourful orchestration but the drive to create something memorable is somehow lacking.