News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Mahler last concert

Started by alberto, Thursday 24 February 2011, 18:40

Previous topic - Next topic

alberto

Mahler last concert as conductor took place on the 21st of february 1911.
It was an "Italian" program comprising (besides Mendelssohn Italian Symphony) works of four real Italians:
Leone Sinigaglia "Le baruffe chiozzotte" overture.
Giuseppe Martucci Piano concerto n.2 (the first was then not edited).
Ferruccio Busoni: Berceuse elegiaque (world premiere).
Marco Enrico Bossi : Intermezzi goldoniani.
On April in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv that identical program will be performed again (in Mahler death centennial year
commemoration) by the Israel Philharmponic under G.Noseda (Muti was due to conduct the concert, and on the very 21st of february, but he had to withdraw on account of an accident).
I would like to know if somebody knows if some similar event is foreseen elsewhere in the world (I don't think).
And I wonder what do you think about the worthiness of the four Italian works and composers (who, in the last 100 years have fared differently: shortly, fairly well Busoni, less well Martucci (but growing); indeeed smaller fortunes for Bossi and-mostly- Sinigaglia.

eschiss1

Well, I've heard some little Sinigaglia and seen other works in score (his scherzo for string quartet can be heard in a recording at IMSLP) and enjoyed it, and like all the Martucci I've heard (I understand why Toscanini was such a fan). Bossi I am curious about- the two piano trios uploaded at IMSLP intrigue me as do his organ works and other music I have been made aware of. Busoni's music I already like :)

(Note - I wrote the preface to the MPH score of Martucci's 2nd piano concerto - warts and all - the preface that is!! - so cards on the table, I guess.)

Amphissa

This same program will be presented on 6 October 2011 by the Chicago Symphony conducted by Muti, with pianist Gerhard Oppitz.

http://cso.org/TicketsAndEvents/EventDetails.aspx?eid=4137

Maestro Muti and Gerhard Oppitz have played the Martucci program before. In 2007, Muti conducted an "Italian Night" at the New York Philharmonic that featured the Martucci PC2, his student Respighi's Pines of Rome, and music from Verdi's ballet Macbeth.