News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Kauffmann, Fritz (1855-1934)

Started by Reverie, Sunday 31 December 2023, 23:49

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

GV: Kauffmann's symphony is at ÖNB, just misfiled, as I think I remarked at the IMSLP wishlist.

eschiss1

Also, a Worldcat search finds a piano-duet reduction by R. Keller - https://www.worldcat.org/title/497412724 - which I hadn't noticed previously (at the British Library, maybe elsewhere.) (See https://www.worldcat.org/title/1074860123 for another copy of that reduction at Münster.)

eschiss1

I remembered it being more badly misfiled at the time, I think, even if I don't remember in what way now- maybe they had it under the Baroque composer Georg Friedrich Kauffmann, or something (a nice --big-- Baroque symphony if so! :) )

TerraEpon

eschiss1

And at least Czerny's included very many substantial works (and many without opus number - some of his symphonies, concertos string quartets, chamber works, masses, etc. have opp., some don't, etc. ...) for many different instrumentations, unlike, say, Arnoldo Sartorio (1853-1936)  whose _almost-1300_ opus numbers were largely for piano/piano duet/2 pianos with a few for violin and piano and, as far as I know, almost entirely brief dances, character pieces, and so on and so forth.

And then there are the weirdly large opus numbers of Charles Grobe (1817?-79), if the big ones aren't just composerly jokes. Which at least are somewhat larger (huge sets of variations, fantasies, etc. are potentially more interesting than reams of brief dances, imho --- marginally.)

Wheesht

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 01 January 2024, 22:50Yes, here it is:
https://search.onb.ac.at/primo-explore/fulldisplay?docid=ONB_alma21322685300003338&context=L&vid=ONB&lang=de_DE&search_scope=ONB_gesamtbestand&adaptor=Local%20Search%20Engine&tab=default_tab&query=any,contains,Fritz%20Kauffmann%20Symphonie&offset=0

The only oddity is that Kauffmann is described as 'Komponistin', i.e. a female composer!
In German, the spelling with a capital 'I' has become standard practice when referring to both the male and female form in one word. Another, more recently adopted, option is 'Komponist:in'.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

I actually misread the 'l' as an 'i'. How the eye deceives when one isn't being too careful...

Wheesht

It's easy to misread 'I' as 'i', our brains are good at recognising patterns, otherwise we would have to decipher each letter individually. One does have to be careful, true.

Wheesht

The «Deutsches Musiker-Lexikon» by Erich H. Müller, copyright 1929, was compiled based on information provided (in part) by the people listed themselves. The works by Kauffmann that are listed there are as follows:
-Choral
-Lieder (manuscript)
-two piano sonatas
-piano pieces
-Abendmusik for string quartet
-Opera: Die Herzkrankheit (libretto by Julius Jost) > the libretto only is at the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek
-Piano Trio op. 9
-String Quartet op. 14
-Symphony in a op. 18
-Piano Trio op. 20
-Dramatic Overture for orchestra op. 23
-Piano Concerto op. 25
-Violin Concerto op. 27
-Cello Concerto op. 29
-Violin Concerto op. 51

Gareth Vaughan

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 01 January 2024, 22:28GV: Kauffmann's symphony is at ÖNB, just misfiled, as I think I remarked at the IMSLP wishlist.

Thanks, Eric. I did note your information on IMSLP - very helpful. I only wanted to show that, apart from the symphony, readily accessible complete performance materials are available for his other major orchestral works, whereas someone would have had to produce parts for the symphony since ONB has only the full score.

Wheesht

I may be completely muddled by now, but wouldn't the parts for the alleged sixth by Franke, which has now been established as Kauffmann's symphony, have been used for that recording? That does not mean they are easily accessible, of course.

Alan Howe

I'm assuming that new parts had to be created for the recording from whatever material (originating from Hans Franke) was made available to Vogt & Fritz/Amphion. Again, I'm assuming that this material was either a Kauffmann original that had been 'doctored' or a copy that Franke himself had created.

Interestingly, I note that the score is missing from the publisher's website. I wonder whether it has been 'pulled'...