News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Kauffmann, Fritz (1855-1934)

Started by Reverie, Sunday 31 December 2023, 23:49

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Just because ÖNB only has the score doesn't mean someone doesn't have the Kauffmann parts - what became of Paez? Hopefully not destroyed in WW2 like Junne and other publishers :( (but yes, someone might have, but who? :) ) (Btw LoC has an ambiguous - "unk" - entry for Kauffmann's symphony also.)

Alan Howe

Again, I'm assuming from what conductor Christian Hammer told Ilja that the current publisher (Vogt & Fritz) supplied the parts and the score for the recording. How/In what form the music reached the publisher in the first place is unknown.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteHow/In what form the music reached the publisher in the first place is unknown.

And there's the rub, of course. One would be interested to know.

Gareth Vaughan

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 02 January 2024, 16:41Just because ÖNB only has the score doesn't mean someone doesn't have the Kauffmann parts - what became of Paez? Hopefully not destroyed in WW2 like Junne and other publishers :( (but yes, someone might have, but who? :) ) (Btw LoC has an ambiguous - "unk" - entry for Kauffmann's symphony also.)

Well, yes - but they are not, at present at least, obviously available. One presumes Vogt&Fritz made parts from whatever score they had, but that may have been doctored somewhat by Franke. We just don't know without comparing the score at ONB with that produced by Vogt&Fritz.
I don't like that "unk" at LoC!

Alan Howe

Trouble is, I can't locate a Vogt & Fritz score anywhere for comparison purposes. I'm suspicious that it's been pulled.

Simon

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 01 January 2024, 00:00page of an abortive Kickstarter-ish project to record Kauffmann's 2 piano trios

There are some excerpts intertwined with an interview (in German only) of the Piano Trio op. 9 on YouTube, featuring the same performers:

Alan Howe

Thanks so much, Simon. What a shame it never took off - perhaps the music was too obscure for the project to succeed. The music itself sounds extremely attractive.

Reverie

Very often the final movements in symphonies can be a let down I feel. However in this symphony the Finale is a powerful conclusion thanks to that wonderful development section where you are transported to another world for a few minutes!

Little did I know when I stuck that link to my rendition of Fritz's symphony that there would be such a commotion. It will be interesting to see how things develop?

By the way the cello concerto is a fine work too. I have only dealt with the first movement so far.

Alan Howe

I'm so glad you did the work, Martin. You have in effect returned a very fine symphony to its true creator, restored his reputation and righted a historic wrong.

Very well done!

Mark Thomas

Quite so, Alan. Many thanks, Martin.

Gareth Vaughan

Alan Howe

In exposing the plagiarist, we now have evidence of a fine composer hitherto unknown to us. That's a major achievement.
  The fact that we recognised the Symphony's worth in the first place and wanted to listen to it on repeated occasions means that we were able to recognise it when Martin posted his computer realisation on YouTube. It's a testament to Kauffmann's craft and to Martin's skill in realising it.

What I'd like to see is a re-release of the recording of the Symphony with the inner movements in the intended order and the correct attribution. This might be embarrassing to Vogt & Fritz, but might prove attractive to the conductor and orchestra involved. Or am I just being naive?

terry martyn

I was really taken by this fine symphony when I first heard it,and have listened to it again and again. I  received no reply from the record label when I suggested that a copy of the CD should be sent to Musicweb International for review, but I concur with everything Alan has said.  Was Kauffmann one of those Jewish composers erased from knowledge by the Nazis?   An injustice needs to be righted.

Mark Thomas

As Franke's appropriation of Kauffmann's Symphony occurred in the 1930s, very shortly after Kauffmann's death, it's tempting to assume that Franke may have found it easier or more excusable to do so because Kauffmann was Jewish and therefore his music would be expunged by the Nazis after 1933. However, I can find no evidence that Kauffmann was Jewish and both Woelfl and Hill, whose compositions Franke also stole, were buried in Christian cemeteries and so clearly not of the faith. So, even in that time of twisted morality, Franke's thefts couldn't have been more blatant or inexcusable.

Wheesht

Kauffmann was not Jewish. I have of scan of his death entry from the registry office in Magdeburg. Will provide details later today.