Previous topic - Next topic

Elgar4Ever

Reger: Complete Organ Music
Composer   Max Reger
Artist   Roberto Marini organ
Format   17 CD
Cat. number   97066
EAN code   5028421970660

Brilliant Classics December release of a monster box of Reger(Also available at a very, very low price as a download) Are any members familiar with these compositions?

eschiss1

.. some of them. I prefer his rather terrific chamber music but his organ music has grown on me, so thanks for bringing it to my attention- I can easily see myself acquiring that at Brilliant's prices for long-term listening as I have others of their boxes (and individual lengthy pieces, like a certain 9.5-hour piano work on one of their labels. :) )

semloh

Thanks for alerting us to this.

Recordings of organ music are sometimes very poor - the instrument, the performer, the acoustics of the location, and the skill of the sound engineer combine to make for a very unpredictable outcome. But sometimes they are spectacular. I'm currently listening to the complete organ music of Cesar Franck (old CBS set) and it's crystal clear in all registers! If the Reger set is as good, then I may well go for it, but 17 CDs!! Hmm, I might well end up feeling "faint of heart".

eschiss1

Though in this case, Brilliant Classics has a YouTube channel where you will probably be able to listen to the whole set eventually with commercials, then decide if you want to buy it (this I know from when I didn't subscribe to Amazon Music on a yearly basis, which was only fairly recently.) Only problem is that YouTube-quality-sound is probably less... but it may give an impression of the relative organ sound.

eschiss1

btw, for future referential self-... :) this probably belonged in the Recordings & Broadcasts tab, being an announcement/discussion thread for a recording!

semloh

Alan Howe