Grimm Symphony/Suite in Kanonform (cpo)

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 12 January 2024, 19:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Conductor Golo Berg has kindly told us that cpo are shortly to release his recording of Julius Otto Grimm's Symphony in D minor, coupled with same composer's Suite in Kanonform.

To consult our previous thread on the Symphony, please follow this link:
https://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,8198.0.html

Following the release of the CD, the download of the radio broadcast will, of course, cease to be available from this website.

terry martyn

Alan Howe

Indeed it will - and many thanks to Golo Berg for giving us notice of its forthcoming release.

eschiss1

As I recall that the consensus here seems to have been disappointment (perhaps caused by initially extremely high initial expectations, but then, perhaps not!), hopefully the cpo release will improve matters, ...

eschiss1

btw how close to the release of a disc does it usually appear on this page which seems to provide the earliest info on the site? :) I suppose one way to find out will be to check regularly for when "Grimm" appears among the composers...

eschiss1

one other question: Grimm wrote at least two suites in the form of a canon, perhaps 3 (no.1 in C for strings is op.10, no.2 in G for full orchestra is Op.16. There's a suite no.3 for strings, not sure at the moment if it's also "in Canonform", op.25) . Is it clear which was meant?

Alan Howe

I guess we'll find out more when the CD is officially announced for release. We don't have a firm date - and the conductor may not actually have the exact details. His message to me reads 'soon'.

semloh