Charles Wakefield Cadman - Piano Sonata in A major

Started by Theodore S., Thursday 18 January 2024, 18:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Theodore S.

Good afternoon everyone,

Today I wanted to share a recording I made a few years ago of a piece already (partially) posted on this forum, the Piano Sonata in A major Op. 58 by Charles Wakefield Cadman. Prior to playing it, I hadn't known that the 2nd movement had already been recorded twice (including by the composer himself, as this forum has shown), but I am not aware of any other performances of the whole sonata besides my own. Here is Bartje Bartmans' score video of my performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea0u3xAOP6U
Also the playlist with the original videos from my channel (separate movements): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLic1pNbbwq3gTYz5qmeFwX5ZzE_X4Z8xZ

Ever since recording the Sonata, I have taken an interest in Cadman's music, he really does have a unique style of his own, and I think his music is really beautiful. Generally, it seems most of his substantial pieces have been recorded, though I wonder about his "Aurora Borealis" fantasy for piano and orchestra...

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy :)

Elgar4Ever

I look forward to hearing this recording. I am familiar with the lovely 1913 Piano Trio in D Major so the solo piano music by Cadman sounds quite enticing. I wonder what his 'Indianist' compositions sound like?

tuatara442442

Delicious and the score doesn't seem too difficult or exhausting to read. Makes me want to try out some passages myself :)

Theodore S.

Quote from: tuatara442442 on Saturday 20 January 2024, 02:00Delicious and the score doesn't seem too difficult or exhausting to read. Makes me want to try out some passages myself :)

I hope you enjoy playing it!

Quote from: Elgar4Ever on Thursday 18 January 2024, 23:34I look forward to hearing this recording. I am familiar with the lovely 1913 Piano Trio in D Major so the solo piano music by Cadman sounds quite enticing. I wonder what his 'Indianist' compositions sound like?

The Piano Trio is a really lovely piece :) He also wrote a number of pieces on Indian melodies, and the movements available on YouTube of his Thunderbird Suite for piano are gorgeous, especially "Before the Sunrise".