Hjalmar Borgstrøm Piano Concerto - midi

Started by pianoconcerto, Saturday 10 February 2024, 02:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel Hoffman

Definitely a valuable resource.  A lot to go through on there, so I'm not sure if how much if anything on my list you've missed. My catalog is currently sitting at around 3800 works by 1650 composers - judging by the number of unfamiliar names on a spot-check, I suspect your list is much more comprehensive, but it's still possible.  Might be worth comparing notes.  My catalog also includes harpsichord, organ, and other keyboard instruments, so those might not be on yours.  If you have a Google account, I can theoretically share my Tables database (I've yet to get that to work, but it's supposed to be possible).  The only other option for me is to export it to Sheets, which is easier to publicly share, but it loses a lot of the advantages of the database format when I do that, so I only use that to make snapshots every now and then.

My criterion for working on something is whether it has been published on YouTube or not, because it doesn't do much good if something was e.g. published once on a limited release LP and nobody can find any extant copies, or they're so expensive it's not worth the investment.  As for the Herz situation, I knew the Hyperion recordings existed, but they had not (at least when I started working on it) been made available unless you purchased the CDs - the purchase of the company by Universal and subsequent flood of new YouTube releases added quite a few recordings to my catalog - though not all of their recordings are released yet - I checked after finding out about Herz.  (e.g. their recording of the Brull #1 that I also transcribed still seems to be unavailable for the moment, we'll see how long that lasts.)

eschiss1

The purchase by Universal also made many of those recordings e.g. finally available to stream over Amazon Music, too...

Darrel Hoffman

Hmm, yes, I've been meaning to branch out to other streaming services, but I haven't quite exhausted my 6-week long YouTube "Watch Later" playlist yet.  I expect there's a bunch of stuff there, as well as some stuff by modern composers in places like Soundcloud and Bandcamp, etc.

I do recommend if you're on my channel to check out my Catalog playlists.  They're not my complete catalog, which includes a lot of (as far as I know) unrecorded stuff (at least unpublished on YT), and there's some things that YT won't allow you to add to playlists for some reason*.  But there's a lot of good obscure stuff on there, and I imagine much of it would appeal to anyone in this forum.  (A lot of it I'm sure you already know about as it seems some of the people who posted it are already members here.)

* (Anything marked as "Made for kids" cannot be added to a playlist - I really wish people wouldn't use that feature, at least for music.  It should really be for content that only appeals to kids.  I think some posters confuse that setting for "Okay for kids to watch", which obviously applies to nearly all of classical music.)

Darrel Hoffman

The full version of this concerto is now live: https://youtu.be/pQEAByNTd_g
It doesn't go public until tomorrow (I'm trying to keep a somewhat regular weekly release schedule on Fridays - I'm told that pleases the Almighty Algorithm), but you all get to hear it a day early.  Thanks for the help in tracking down the full score for me.