Osip Kozlovsky - Requiem

Started by adriano, Thursday 15 February 2024, 16:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Presto are now advertising the CD as an April 19th release over here in the UK. I have placed my order!
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9607139--kozlovzki-requiem

Spelling is a bit of a problem: Pentatone has 'Kozlowski', Presto has 'Kozlovski'. Very confusing when conducting searches!

adriano

Yes, Alan
In any case, the Russian CD and the 1978 "Muzika" vocal score write Козловский - "Kozlovsky".
The original Polish spelling is Józef Kozłowski, he was born in Warzaw - although, according to recent researches, he was born in Slauharad (Koslowitchi), today's Belarus.
Osip is the Russian version of Jósef.

Alan Howe

Very confusing! Thanks, Adriano, for the clarification.

adriano

Christopher

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 20 February 2024, 23:37Presto are now advertising the CD as an April 19th release over here in the UK. I have placed my order!
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9607139--kozlovzki-requiem

Spelling is a bit of a problem: Pentatone has 'Kozlowski', Presto has 'Kozlovski'. Very confusing when conducting searches!

My CD came yesterday (care of a friend visiting from Poland): I can confirm it's a very good rendition of this piece, and possibly the best of the four recorded versions I know of.  It also confirms to me that, of those four, the Yesipov is the worst - turgid and plodding, literally the wrong tones and (especially) tempos chosen for each section. I don't know if that's because heavy Russian voices are not readily compatible with a Catholic Requiem Mass that prays for eternal rest, or because it's just a bad performance: the other two versions are also Russian and mostly work.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Well, my copy arrived today - and now that I'm finally able to listen to it in its entirety it's hard not to wonder what might 'top' this as the unsung discovery of the year. OK, there's Raff's Samson still to come, but this Requiem is an utterly amazing achievement for a work composed by an unknown composer in 1798. I hope it sells like hot cakes and gets the reviews it deserves.

Christopher

What's your favourite section Alan? Mine is unquestionably the Confutatis.  Just so dramatic.  I might have had it on repeat...repeatedly..!

Alan Howe

Yes, that's terrific, isn't it? But the whole work holds one's attention, I find.