Conrado del Campo: String Quartets Nos. 8 & 9

Started by Alan Howe, Yesterday at 19:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Ilja

Del Campo has become mainly known for his quartets, which run the gamut from (literal) melodrama to a kind of dance suite. He is a bit of an exception among Spanish composers for his incorporation of German influences (inclusing the use of Wagner-like Leitmotifs), particularly earlier in his career. However, his reputation has rather suffered because of his unwavering support for Franco's regime, and his part in creating an arch-conservative artistic climate during the dictatorship. A bit like a Spanish Max von Schillings, although not nearly as nasty. It seems that recently something of a revival has started. 

The 8th quartet is a work that I would qualify as "lean" both in its melodies and instrumentalization, but I did think it had some trouble sustaining interest for its entire 45+ minutes. Over two decades later, he worked it into a piano quintet with the title "Episodio de una vida combatida y dolorosa" (Episode of a life of struggle and pain). That one's perhaps a tad too substantial at over an hour. I didn't know the 9th quartet, but from the samples that quartet sounds a bit more entertaining than its predecessor.