just a question on discogs

Started by Maury, Monday 11 March 2024, 01:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Maury

Do members feel that the unsung composer listings on discogs represent a relatively complete discography for these composers? As a new member I am researching composers mentioned here and trying to find recordings of those that interest me. I am uncertain as to what recordings are actually out there, apart from   discogs and the listings du jour on ebay and amazon however. Thanks for any info.

TerraEpon

Discogs in general is bad at being comprehensive for classical music, so it's extremely hit or miss no matter who the composer is.

Maury

I certainly agree in general but I didn't know if some members here were updating these unsungs on discogs. Since this site has a scholarly focus for the most part, I would have more confidence in that case. If members have assembled sources or discographies for a given composer here, it might be worthwhile to copy those posts to one place even if on this site. Since there are very few concert performances of these composers obviously, we are dependent on whatever recordings took place. Very few people are score readers to the extent of being able to evaluate an orchestral work in particular in the absence of hearing it.

Alan Howe

We've never considered the sort of cataloguing suggested, mainly because of the work involved. All I can suggest is that, if a particular composer is of interest, the search facility will produce a list of thread titles etc. that can be consulted.

There are a number of websites dedicated to particular composers 'out there' (e.g. raff.org on Raff and draeseke.org on Felix Draeseke) and certain other organisations are useful in that respect, e.g. the Tiroler Landesmuseen in Innbruck for composers such as Rufinatscha and Netzer. Speaking personally, I'd search for dedicated websites containing discographies and compile my own list of sources from those.

A useful (and long) list of composers is available at jpc.de here - under 'Komponistenverzeichnis': https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/home  (search by surname: A to Z)

Maury

Thanks for the additional info.