Jakab Gyula Major Concert Symphonique (1888?)

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 29 March 2024, 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Of course, most of Mihalovich's music remains in ms and available at best through a Hungarian library. I respectfully disagree regarding Liszt's music- my opinion is as opposite as my "opinion" of the spelling of his family name as he wrote it.

Alan Howe

It's been put right, Eric.

My own feelings towards Liszt are rather mixed: I think his symphonic poems are a fusion of sublimity, excitement and banality - probably about right for the experimental form that they represent. However - and it's an important 'however' - I firmly believe that his Faust Symphony is a blazing masterpiece: every bar of it grips me, and I think it's significant that many good-to-great conductors have recorded it - e.g. Beecham, Bernstein (twice), Solti, Barenboim, Sinopoli, Masur, Ansermet, Fischer (Ivan), Muti, Chailly, Thielemann, Rattle, Noseda, Dorati, d'Avalos, Dausgaard, Conlon, Inbal - and probably others I've forgotten. In other words, far more conductors than those who have conducted just the odd symphonic poem or two.

So, to return to Mihalovich and Major, I'm hoping that some of their symphonies/concertos might turn out to be worth reviving. Mihalovich wrote four symphonies; Major wrote six symphonies, two further PCs, one VC and one Cello Concerto!
For Major's works list, follow this link:
https://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Gyula_Major

Gareth Vaughan

There are also the 3 Concert Fantasies Op. 63 for piano & orchestra, mss. of which are in the Szechenyi Library.
I'm not sure that the E major PC without opus number is complete. Szechenyi never replied to my enquiry about that  which, admittedly, I sent during the COVID outbreak.

semloh

I too trust your judgement, Gareth. I am sure many people would simply hear that Youtube piece and dismiss him. Clearly, that would be a mistake.