Music by Max d'Ollone (1875-1959)

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 22 January 2013, 16:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

A long time has passed I think since we last discussed Max'd'Ollone but I thought members might be interested in some new recordings (on YOUTUBE),performed by the William and Mary Symphony Orchestra (in Virginia). 

The conductor, David Grandis, has been working with Max's grandson Patrick to bring to life works never heard of either for a long time or at all.

The works I've found so far are:
LES VILLES MAUDITES (also on Bru Zanes'release, I believe), LES FUNÉRAILLES DU POÈTE and LE TEMPLE ABANDONNÉ (these last two are stated to be world premier performances (excluding their original outings a century ago'.

Haven't yet listened but having enjoyed his previously released orchestral works, I'm hoping these too are as entertaining.

As well as the YOUTUBE notes accompanying the videos, there is some further background to be found via this link:

https://florentschmitt.com/2019/09/04/french-american-conductor-david-grandis-talks-about-discovering-the-music-of-french-composer-max-dollone-and-championing-his-music-in-the-concert-hall/

Just a heads up for you but any additional details welcome if anyone has them.

Best wishes

Richard