A trip to the record store, 41 years ago

Started by John Boyer, Saturday 13 April 2024, 18:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Febct

Quote from: terry martyn on Tuesday 16 April 2024, 13:31Henry Stave?  Harold Moore's?

Harold Moore's (!).  In Great Marlborough St.  Just where I remember it to be.  Thanks for the reply.

PS - a web search comes up with "an Ode to Harold Moore's" which calls it "London's last classical record shop."

Tell me it's not true.

Wheesht

The British Record Shop Archive has more information, photos and even a link to an interview with Harold Moores. I remember venturing in the basement about 25 years ago in search of that surprisingly rare thing, a recording of 'Peter and the Wolf' with Russian narration – and I found it!

terry martyn

I used to buy Louis Spohr symphonies there.  My lasting memory is how prohibitively expensive they were!!

Alan Howe

My favourite was Farringdon Records (Cheapside, I think). Can't remember what went on upstairs (probably pop) , but downstairs was classical LP paradise. I always spent too much..

eschiss1

During my first of two trips to London , in 1993, I remember getting a couple of CDs at Moores (Myaskovsky 3/Lyrical Concertino, and - oh right, Tubin sym.7 etc. on BIS.)